Thursday, February 12, 2009

A Sweet Surprise

This weekend has turned out to be quite busy. One of my children forgot that he was supposed to go on a camp out so I figured, if he doesn't remember, no big deal missing it. He has already paid to do the run and I don't want to have to worry about him getting back in time for the baptism. I even quizzed him on his weekend activities and he couldn't come up with a camp out so I really figured- no big deal! Big deal. Kind of as a joke, I threw it out there and how I couldn't believe he didn't remember, but that he already had so much going on it was no big deal. The tears began to flow. I reminded him of all the thing I just mentioned and he had a comeback for each one and why I should let him go. He tried to bury his head and not let me know that he was crying, but it was obvious.

When I got home I called his Scout Leader to get the details. He assured me they would be home in time and that it wasn't just a regular camp out, but a hike on the Mormon Battalion Trail. We also have a friend who wanted us to take his little boy to the race with us since he wasn't going to be able to run. This kid could run as my child and take care of that commitment. I didn't tell him he could go till much later in the night. Obviously he was very excited. When I went to bed, I picked up the book I'm reading and in with my bookmark was a folder green paper. I didn't remember that being in there so I unfolded it. There was one of the sweetest, most heartfelt thank you notes. Of course there were the "i love you so x5 much" and all that, but also a thank you for my comfort and support that I give him in his "adventures". It was very sweet and just the thing a mom loves to hear.

Revision: Now that your heart is all warm and fuzzy, when I thanked Stephen, he said he wrote it in Sunday school as part of the lesson. I should have just kept my mouth shut and had my little fairy tale world. It really was a sweet note, but not quite as meaningful when someone sits you down and tells you to write it!

3 comments:

Krista Darrach said...

Loved your post! I had the same thing happen with Damian a few months back. He "learning moment" which was difficult for him....and I found a letter the next morning on my computer. I thought, "Wow I must have really go through to him." Then he told me they did it in seminary (4 days earlier).
I know your pain....bummer.
But I'll take it for what it was worth! It was sweet.

Unknown said...

That's so funny. I'm sure he realized how much it meant to you though, and maybe just maybe you'll get another one sometime in the next 10 years. :) Happy times!!

Shelli said...

According to the scout leader his was more of a love note than any of the others. Count your blessings!