Saturday, January 31, 2009

London's Run


Glade, Laurie (who really needs hair), Stephen, Rhett, Nick



London's Run. Today we ventured out for our second 10K. By we I mean the boys and I. Glade ran his first half marathon, 13.1 miles. This is a charity event for some families in our area who have lost children to cancer. The run was kind of tough, it was dirt roads that were kinda bumpy. It was super cold (see your breath) when we got there, but warmed up as soon as the sun came up. Totally sweating by the end.

There was a fun group of us running "together". My three boys: Nick, Stephen and Rhett, Gena, Julia, Jake, Brett, and of course Glade and I. There were several other people there from our ward and even a couple of bunko friends. (that includes you Jerel!)

We were at the very beginning of the starting line. I wanted an accurate time. I started off really good, my first mile was just under 10 minutes and by mile 3 I was still at 10 minute miles. I ran pretty much the whole time. I only walked about 5 minutes total. My pace got much slower of course, but at least I was still running. The sucky part was that people just kept passing me! Where were all the walkers? Lots of times people start walking around the middle and then you catch up. Not today. I just kept reminding myself that it was only about me. I just needed to beat my last time. I ran into Rhett about mile 4 and he was walking along sobbing. The good mother that I am, I stopped running to check things out. I'm pretty sure he was just frustrated that his friend was far ahead of him. The quitter in him was shining brightly. He didn't say any of that by the way, a mom just knows. I told him to just walk and take deep breaths and try to get to the end. Then I told him I had to go...lol. He kept up with me after that. I think he beat me by about 10 seconds. Little Stinker.

The last mile was killer. You tell yourself "only a mile, no prob." but your legs are like noodles and your muscles are starting to protest and it seems like forever before you see those balloons telling you you can stop now. I came in at 1:08:15. That is just over two minutes better than the last time. I was a little disappointed because I thought there would be a bigger difference since I ran almost the whole time. It's still good, I have to remember: progress. Nick came in at 51 minutes which is about 10 minutes faster than last time. Stephen was 1:14 which was 5 minutes faster. He came in with a smile this time, I was happy to see that.

Glade had a rough day. For starters, he left his running shoes at work so he had to run in big heavy basketball shoes. He kept up his 10 minute miles up till mile 9. The last three miles his Achilles was locking up and his legs were killing him. He finished in 2:20. Way to go babe! We are all feeling a little sore this afternoon.

After the races, we hung around for just a little while to talk to friends and the boys did some rock climbing and Nick rode the fake bull. It was a fun morning and I love that this has become something fun for us to do as a family.


Glade coming across the finish line. Look at him smiling! I was using my old camera cuz it's little. I think I have gotten really spoiled!



Stephen coming down from the rock wall. He didn't get very far.



Rhett got so close but said he was scared being up so high.


Nick did great on the bull. He had to remove his glasses and it looked like he kept his eyes closed the whole time.



This was me thinking I was getting a picture of him being thrown off, I guess I missed!


Side note, the date is really off on my camera

7 comments:

Lulu said...

Great shot of Glade. That amazes me. I am exhausted.

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Smith Clan! Laurie, you did awesome! Dacia

Kristine said...

I am so impressed that you had this all on your blog before I had even started to recover from the run this morning!! Dave was quoting you today as we talked about running and how we did etc. He said, "I think Laurie has the right idea that it is all about "ME" and not to compare ourselves to anyone else." So it was fun to see you blog about that too!

Leslie said...

Good job, everyone! I'll try to join you next year. It's going to take me at least that long to get up my endurance. It's so cool that your boys have joined you (and Glade, too).

Heather said...

You all inspire me. You did awesome.

Jake and Jenny said...

Awesome job! It was fun to see you there! That is so neat that you are doing it as a family!

Krista Darrach said...

Wow - what an inspiration.
That is so cool that you guys did that.
We hike together...I should start running...maybe it will help.
Thanks for the inspiration.
~Krista