Friday, January 23, 2009

This MOMENTUS occasion

I have wanted to get my feelings down for a few days now, but every time I start, I get frustrated. I'm not looking for opinions or debates or to offend anyone. This is for my posterity on what it was like when the first black president was elected.

Let me begin my saying I have no actual problem with Barrak Obama nor do I have anything against black people. I'm sure he is a very nice man and color is totally irrelevant to me. In trying to figure out why I'm so...I don't know...exasperated with this situation, I have come to a few conclusions. During this week of inaugural stuff, I have not wanted to be a part of it at all. It's not the man in the position, rather the people who put him there. I have not felt like a proud American these last few months. It feels like he was put there because of his color. Would Oprah have paraded around with him like she did had he been a white guy? Chances are - no. Why is the black community thinking that life is going to change for them now, or that they have finally made it somewhere? For not wanting to be segregated or pointed out, it sure feels like there is a lot of pointing out going on right now. I believe he was elected because, as Glade puts it, he is a "rockstar". Flashy, young, a "cool dude". Is that the qualities we are putting at the top of our list these days? The things mostly said about John McCain was that he is some "old dude". Maybe there is a little wisdom and experience in being an "old dude". I think we were left with two not so great choices this election. Lucky for me I don't believe the president has nearly as much power as people give him credit for. So whoever fills that position, whatever.

On that note, my feelings are also hurt about how George Bush had to leave office. He should never have had to walk away with his tail between his legs. I'm so angry that the American people put the blame for our careless spending and frivolous lifestyles on him. He dealt with a lot of really hard things during his presidency and I think he should be honored and thanked for sticking it out and doing the best he knew how. When are we going to take responsibility for ourselves? If given the opportunity, I would love to give him a hug, and say "thank you, great job Mr. President."

I'm still grateful for a country full of freedoms and for the ability to worship as I please and for my children to have so many great opportunities, but I'm sad and concerned at the direction our society, as a whole, is headed. I'm normally very patriotic and feel a great sense of pride about the country I live in, but not today.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said, Laurie, well said. Dacia

Unknown said...

AMEN sister!
I got into it with an Obama supporter and came right and told them "Look, he isn't Jesus Christ and he isn't here to save us all."
Didn't go over very well but they didn't argue after that.

I've seen some great bumper stickers in reference to this,
"McCain for President, Obama for Rockstar"
"Hope for Change, Prepare for the consiquences"

Jake and Jenny said...

I agree with a lot of your feelings and think that there is a lot of confusion in this country on what our true values are. It is a real eye opener to me.

Shelli said...

Couldn't have said it better. I watched Curious George as I folded clothes this week instead of Oprah.

Camille said...

I like what you had to say. Also, I'm glad someone else realizes that Bush did a good job too. He did have some tough situations to handle, and some of the problems he had to deal with were caused by other presidents (Clinton). I'm just going to pray, pray, pray for our country and our president.

Unknown said...

I wholeheartedly agree!!