Friday, January 23, 2009

Free Groceries and School suspension

Yesterday one of my boys was caught with a paper with very inappropriate writings on it. The principal was not there so they were just calling to let me know and that I could pick up the paper after school. I was pretty sure it was violence. My boys like to draw dragons and warriors and crap like that. Not too worried. Our school is VERY strict about stuff like that which I am totally OK with. When I picked up the paper, I was shocked at what was written on it. We have much bigger problems was what I was thinking. I found the child and asked him what the heck? He tells me he didn't write any of it, another kid did. After talking to him a little, I believed him and went inside to talk to the Asst. Principal. I told him the situation and he just smiled and nodded with the head tilt and very demeaningly dismissed me as a mother who thinks her kid could do no wrong. I was not happy. We had some really good conversations at home about what should have happened and I think there was sincere remorse for the poor choices made.

Today I called to get a meeting with the principal and they called me back and said it wasn't really necessary but I needed to come pick him up because he was being suspended for the day. I told the secretary the situation, so they called both boys to the office and the truth did come out. I still had to come and get him which is fine, he did participate and that was wrong. What I was upset about was that if I had not called, he would have been totally unaware of the truth of the matter. The Asst. Principal did nothing. I know there are a lot of parents who think their children could do no wrong but I am certainly not one of them. In the end, it all worked out and hopefully both boys learned a good lesson. I was grateful for Mr. Lee and his ability to be open minded and fair. He is very tough and tolerates nothing: fabulous.

On the bright side of the day - FREE GROCERIES!! This is the time of year I get my Costco rebate check back. Not only did it pay for my next year's membership, but I also got $82 in free groceries. I stocked up on all the essentials and it feels great! I try to be smart in my purchasing, so if it's the same at Costco or somewhere else, I will always buy Costco. 2% is 2%.

4 comments:

Heather said...

I love Costco, I get my check in May. You got alot back, lucky! Good for you for sticking with the school situation to get the truth out. I am with you on our kids aren't perfect, but you got to fight for them when they didn't do wrong.

Kathy said...

I am SO NOT looking forward to those days. At least we'll know someone who has already "been there, done that" to ask when we ARE there. :o)
BTW, how's your bum?

Camille said...

Thanks for the update on the "situation" at the school. I am so glad you got it all straightened out. Everyone involved should receive the consequences. And woo hoo on the costco rebate!

Lulu said...

I am really glad you stuck to your guns and made sure his name was in the clear. You are such a good mom.