Friday, January 16, 2009

Six miles or Bust

My plans to run 6 miles has continually been tested. Today I swore I would do it. I have a 10K in two weeks and I need to go the distance one more time. I went to the gym (snotty children and all) and when I got upstairs, all the treadmills were full. Now what?? I could hang out on another machine for awhile, but what a waste of my energy. Instead, I loitered. As soon as I saw a woman's time start the cool down, I went and stood behind her treadmill. Rude, I know. At this point I didn't really care. I wanted to get my run in! So I did. Mental is truly harder than the physical, but I made it with a pretty good time as well, for me anyway. I did an hour and 12 minutes. What's good about that is that it's only a little slower than I ran the Turkey Trot. I definitely pushed myself more during the race than I do on the treadmill. Hopefully I can beat my time at this next race.

When I picked my kids up out of the daycare, Katy was screaming and stuck up in the slide. No one even noticed. I asked two little girls if they could help pull her down. She just looked at me and said "I'm too little!" Grrr, I so not very nicely told her to get out of the way then cuz the fat old lady had to try to squeeze up those little steps to help her. OK, so that's not exactly what I told her, but I wasn't very nice. When I got up to her, she had a huge green snot hanging down to her chin. Maybe that's why no one would help her! I had no choice but to grab it and wipe it on my shirt, yes I'm still swallowing hard as I talk about it now. I kept trying to tell myself that it's ok, just be glad there is somewhere to take her so you can work out. Sigh, it still stinks.

Tonight we are going out with some friends. I hope the movie isn't bad. Sometimes you just never know. I'm going to try hard not to ruin my points this weekend like I did last weekend. I've still lost 5 lbs in the last two weeks, but I want to keep it that way. It sure helps to motivate you when the scale keeps dropping!

6 comments:

Jake and Jenny said...

We shold trade off watching kids to go to the gym. That is so great the you got your run in!

Heather said...

I wish I could run that far, still working up to it. Good for you.

The snot thing made me laugh and gag at the same time. I don't ever want to know what shirt it was.

Jenn Fort Haderlie said...

your so motivating! Good luck with your 10k

Lulu said...

5 pounds, woo hoo! I love the image of you grumbling your way up the baby slide to just be greeted by a face full of boogers. Hilarious. And seriously? How long has it been since we went on a double date? It's time.

Kristine said...

I was laughing at your description at the gym! Way to go on getting the 6 miles in! You always make what I would consider frustrating situations seem possible!

Leslie said...

Good for you! Someday I'll be up to six miles (I hope!) but for now I am just happy to be on the treadmill at all. :)
LEs.