Thursday, January 15, 2009

The Fight to Stand

What a slow and unproductive day. I had great ambitions to go run 6 miles this morning, but Katy had such a green snotty nose I decided against taking her to the gym with me. Which, actually, worked out well because Nick had a track meet after school at the park and I like to run while I'm there. He came in 4th again. Since his event is a whole whopping 7 minutes, I run around the park while there is down time. It's kind of nice to run outside without cars and crappy streets and to have some incline. Anyway, when I decided not to go to the gym, I thought maybe I would visit my mom, but she had plans this morning. So we stayed put at home in our jammies! That turned out to be a good choice because Katy was asleep on the living room floor by 9:30. She woke up about a half hour later and came and found me and slept on my lap for another half an hour.

That was the sad part of the day for me. She looked awful, you know when they don't feel good and their eyes are not bright and sparkly and their nose is crusty, stuff like that. While she was falling back to sleep, I just sat and watched her. It made me think of a friend I just talked to from high school who had to hold his 3 yr old in his arms just like that and watch her take her last breaths. I can't even imagine. It broke my heart to look at her with that thought and I KNEW she was going to wake up. Makes me very sad for all the parents who have had to do things like that. I'm very blessed.

Once she woke up, she was on the go again. That's where the fight to stand comes in. She kind of thinks she is potty training. She wears "unnies" when she feels like it, lots of times over her diaper, I know, totally unproductive. Anyway, before naps I told Bo to go potty so he did. She started repeating "potty, potty" so I took off her diaper and started to sit her up on the toilet. She kicked and screamed at me. What the heck? I put her down and said "What?" She lifted the seat, faced the toilet (on her tip toes) and put her hips forward just like Bo did. I kept telling her it didn't work like that. She doesn't know the difference between boys and girls yet so that explanation meant nothing to her. Lucky for me she doesn't know how to make herself pee yet. I let her stand there for a second before I took her away to put a new diaper on her. Crazy girl.

Last great part of the day. After Nick's meet, we stopped at the store so I could go to the bank and get some biscuits. He wanted to get an MP3 with his birthday money so we went to look at them. Along the way I found some really cute, cream colored, LONG shorts for $3. Nice!

2 comments:

Heather said...

Katy is a crack up. I am not around her enough to see how she is, but she seema like a little spit fire. Love that.

Jake and Jenny said...

That cracks me up that she wants to stand just like Bo! Potty training is so much fun!