Friday, September 12, 2008

Guilt in Comfort


On a totally serious note, I'm feeling really guilty today for all the comforts in my life right this very minute. As I sat in McDonald's licking my ice cream cone and watching my little ones climb and play, I envisioned what people in Texas are doing right now. You know, packing up their most precious belongings and leaving their homes for possibly the very last time. It just seems strange to go on with life like every thing is just great when you know so many people are experiencing tragedy right now. I'm also aware that on any given day, so many people are experiencing horrible things, but this is right next door and affecting so many at one time. I know there isn't really anything I personally can do for those people, but it's hard to just sit and enjoy my life right now. Tomorrow I will be teaching little girls fun songs and games to play on their next vacation while those in the path of the hurricane will be praying for their lives. Ugh, it just makes me sick. I had the same guilt as I lay toasty in my bed holding my new little baby watching the destruction of Katrina on TV. How grateful I am that my family has never had to endure a challenge like this. Whereas I can't fix their situation, I can at least pray with them for their safety and peace. Doesn't really seem like much, but at least it's something. I sure wish we had a humanitarian program in this area. We would be throwing kits together like crazy.

4 comments:

Heather said...

ok it sounds like you got our of teaching car maintenance, that was a weird theme for young girls, glad they changed it.

I was watching the tv today thinking the same thing about Texas. I do know there is a humanitarian center in Phx my inlaw served a mission there last year. If you are ever interested in going I will set it up.

Lulu said...

You're right Laurie, we can pray for them. And we need to- sometimes I think we get going in our own little bubble until something pops it right in our faces and we are faced with the reality of it all. Thanks for the reminder.

Leslie said...

Yeah. That. I wish praying for someone else felt as satisfying as physically helping.

Good call on the songs/games instead of car repair!
Les.

Unknown said...

Who says you can't do anything? Yes, you are busy. Yes, you have a lot going in in your life but our stake just finished making 600 quilts (100 per ward) for the churches humanitarian effort. In the past, they have had donations with which they made hygiene kits. You can do something and this church does more than almost any other private organization.
You can make a difference. Ask around, I'm sure someone can use the help.
Luv ya! BARZ