Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Bo got beat up by a girl

Imagine the scene in A Christmas Story where Ralphie goes crazy beating up that kid. That was much like the scene in the play place today. Bo and another little girl about his size both went to get on the stairs at the same time. They bumped shoulders then both stood back up. Bo was smiling at this point. The little girl went bazerk. Her arms started flailing whacking Bo over and over. At first he tried swatting back at her, but he could no longer keep up. Now he was just blinking over and over trying to dodge her attack. She got him one time really good on the cheek. There were two mothers sitting right there who just sat there watching. I assumed neither one of them were the girl's mother (which shouldn't have mattered) so I ran in there. I had been watching this little girl go around like a bulldozer the whole time. She pushed, pulled and swatted anything that was next to her. Now she was just plain crazy. I walked up to her, grabbed both her hands and in my sternest mother voice said "you do not hit people!" She grunted at me and tried to pull her arms away so I tightened my grip and got right in her face and said "Don't Hit!" I let her go and she went screaming to her mother. The two women sitting there looked at me with, I don't know, shock on their faces and said "That's not your kid?" pointing to the screaming little girl. I checked Bo out and kissed his little red cheek. I went out to explain to the mom that she wasn't hurt, just mad at me for scolding her. The mom is just syrupy sweet saying to her things like you can't hit people...kids won't want to play with you if you hit...etc. Disgusting. Bo was fine and ready to leave so we did. I kind of wanted to stay so it didn't look like we were running or anything, but we were done. My question is this....Would you have been upset if that had been your kid I scolded? Honestly.

6 comments:

Lulu said...

Yup, I would say I would have been mad. BUT I also wouldn't have let my kid wale on Bo like that!! So, what you did is exactly what needed to be done considering the situation. If there was no parenting on her end, you did that little girl a favor by giving at least a tiny bit of the only guidence she might ever get from a parent! Poor Bo!

Heather said...

I think if I didn't know you I might be alittle upset if you touched my kid, but not upset if my child was beating your child up and you scolded them. Now since you know me and you see my kids do that, you better do exactly what you did.

Leslie said...

You already know my answer...nope! If my kid is being a beast and I'm not there to scold her, I hope *someone* does it. That said, you did it the same way I would have. *I* would go berserk if some other mom railed on my kid and told her she was bad or something like that. Just address the behavior and I think it's okay.
Les.

Unknown said...

I have to say, I'm pretty impressed with Bo. I know some boys who would have hit her back.

You did just the right thing but it just goes to show that the statement; "Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket" is more true than ever.

The majority of "our generation" knows nothing about parenting.

gena said...

I think you did it perfect! If my kid was going crazy like that and I didn't see it I would hope that someone would do just that.

Camille said...

Oh yeah! Totally mad! And I think you were nicer to the little girl than I would have been--the girl's mom probably would have heard from me too. :)