Wednesday, September 3, 2008

A Day to Forget

Lots of times when one thing after another goes wrong, I can end up laughing it off. Not yesterday. The day started off quite nicely. A trip to the gym, Bo's playgroup, some quiet time to myself. Then the craziness began.

More Mice

I spoke too soon. I was fixing lunch for Bo and Katy and opened the drawer that contains her bibs. Out jumps a mouse. I screamed and danced in circles to the other side of the room. I have no idea where it went, I was screaming and dancing. When I calmed down, I was leaning against the counter with my hands over my mouth. I looked over at my babies who were silent and staring at me. Bo had his hands over his ears and Katy had hers over her mouth just like me. I realized I had totally freaked them out so I tried to laugh and smile and tell them mom was just being silly because I had seen the mouse. We have explained to Bo that it is friendly and doesn't hurt anyone, but my screaming did not convey that same message! I threw a poison pack in the drawer and Tyler found him struggling out on the patio that afternoon. Later that night, we heard another one in the pantry. Again with the poison packs and it looks like he ate some of it last night. How many more can there possibly be? It wasn't quite so bad when they were just in my fireplace or on the floor, but now I'm past my limits with grossness. I bribed one of my kids to clean out the drawer with disinfectant and all Katy's bibs are in the sanitize cycle right now.

Why Tyler was at my house

We have had water heater problems from the beginning. We weren't here a few months when one of them flooded my kitchen and ruined my pergo flooring. Both have had the elements replaced and one the thermostat. We have not had hot water for a few days so Tyler came back to look at them. They were BOTH leaking. He did what he could to stop the leak and to get hot water back to the one (which is my shower) and is going to get 2 new ones by the end of the week. Cold showers suck.

Dead Body

When I brought Bo home from playgroup, there was a firetruck and ambulance down my street. They were going out into an empty field. That was kind of weird. By the end of the day, the street was closed off and police and medical examiners were down there. The whole field was taped off with crime scene tape. That is a very disconcerting feeling. Luckily, one of the ladies who lives down there is a firefighter so she was able to get some information. From what we could gather, it was someone who was out walking and had a heart attack. That was a relief!

Trip to NY

I decided to actually make my reservations to fly to New York early in December. I had called all the schools to make sure I wasn't going to miss any programs or anything. I had taken a voluntary bump when I went to IL in May so I have two free flights. When I called to reserve them, I found out that they have blacked out the entire month of December. Are you kidding me? I couldn't fly into NJ either. Turns out we have to fly into Philadelphia and drive to NY. What a pain. The flight times were also less than desirable, but I guess what do you expect when it's free? By the time I finished with this project, I had an enormous headache! For real. But hey, I'm going to NY!!

Curriculum Night

My JR High boys begged me to go to their curriculum night so they could get extra credit. Because I'm a good mom, I agreed. So glad I did. I learned much about why they should be doing MUCH better than they are. I couldn't wait to get home and see what they had to say. One in particular had several missing assignments. When I got home, I decided to go through his backpack and see what kind of papers I could find. What I found in addition to some really bad grades was stolen gum and money. This has been a little bit of an ongoing problem and I was livid to still have to be dealing with it. We had a very lengthy conversation about his future (or lack of it) and amazingly I didn't beat the crap out of him. I just keep wondering when he will care about anything. It has to happen eventually, doesn't it?

Being Grateful for Little Things

I slept like a rock.

5 comments:

Heather said...

ok so glad you found out about the dead person, I was kinda wondering still.

You know just down the street last year the Greers had the same mouse problem. You might ask her what she did to get rid of them. DO NOT send them my way, but if you need help I can kill a mouse.

Kristine said...

That is what I call a PACKED day! I too am grateful for the little things...like being able to close my eyes at the end of a bad day and make it all go away!

Kathy said...

Remember when Joe said that you didn't have a mouse...you have mice. Boy, I guess he was right. That rat poison really worked in our garage though, but the cleanup sucked afterward. Joe really went to work out there, and our garage will probably never look that good again! :-)
By the way Laurie...14 pounds...so far.

Joe said...

You need at least one out side cat and one inside cat. You can get as many kittens from the D.P. as you want. You need to poison outside also. Oh and the only way to stop kids from writing on your best stuff is to have a teacher assign it as homework. Then they will never do it again but always say they already did.

Lulu said...

Ew for the mouse in the house, yikes for the deceased, and UGH for the rest!!