Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Ya just Never Know

You just never know what a day can bring. This is Stephen in the ER. I got a phone call in the afternoon telling me that Stephen was hit in the head with a ball at baseball practice. They said he was Ok and that he never went unconscious, but how soon would I be here to get him. I thought that was a weird question. As soon as I can, obviously, but if he's ok, why the urgency. I left and told the kids I'd be right back I had to go pick up Stephen. Told Dalin to be ready for scouts when I got back. When I arrived, I walked into the nurse's office to find my bloody 12 yr old lying on the bed. Holy crap! From a ball?? "Oh" she says, I meant the BAT. He bent down to pick up a ball and the kid practicing took a swing and nailed him right in the forehead. I hadn't planned on a trip to the ER, but that's where we went. They did a CT scan and determined there was no fracture and then stitched him up with 10 stitches. He handled the actual stitching much better than the numbing before the stitches. He really did great through all of it and feels pretty good now. It's actually kind of fun, he and I will now have matching scars. The scar on my forehead is in the exact same place! I took him for some dinner before we went home and he said to me "who would have thought this morning that I would be sitting here having Panda Express with 10 stitches tonight?" Ain't that the truth!

8 comments:

Tammy said...

Oh my gosh! OUCH! I'm glad he is ok. Poor kid.

Lulu said...

What a trooper. I can't believe you went to those meetings last night... I can see where he gets his trooper mentality.

Leslie said...

Holy cow! That looks awful. Poor thing. So, do tell, how did you get your scar?

Anonymous said...

AWESOME! I'm glad Stephen is okay, and that he didn't get a concussion. Dacia

Krista Darrach said...

Holy Cow! Gees!!! Ouch!
poor thing...but boys LOVE scars.. they crack me up. Our boys - always got so excited (once the trauma was over) to have a big scar.
Hope it heals quick!
~K

Kathy said...

That puts Talon's chin cut to shame!!
I'm always saying, "Don't hit me!" When I walk behind the girls swinging between innings. That's gotta hurt!!

Jake and Jenny said...

Ten stitches! That was quite a swing! I had that happen to me at his age, only it was my chin.

Unknown said...

Every time I see that picture I swear it's more swollen than the last time I saw it. OUCH!!