Saturday, March 7, 2009

Random Rants

I've been in a very reflective mood lately. I like to question "why" about so many things people do. These are some of the things that have had me perplexed lately:

1- I heard a conversation on the radio about a man using a coupon on his date with a girl. They were shocked and horrified. He should be trying to "impress" her. This was the time to pull out all the big guns and never go cheap. Isn't that false representation. Shouldn't a woman appreciate a man who is wise with his money? Shouldn't she know up front that he is a coupon user? They basically sent him to dating hell for that one. I totally disagree. Am I too old to be objective?

2-I think much of the population is unhappy. While wandering through the mall alone, I had a lot of opportunities to people watch. What I saw was groups of sloppy, trying too hard to be different, mopey teenagers. I saw more cleavage than I care too remember, and not good cleavage mind you. (not that there should be cleavage) Grown adults with enormous holes in their ears. Mom's wearing clubbing clothes to pick up their kids at school. Why are we so obsessed with "showing what we got". Are we so empty inside that this is all we have left? I saw a couple in the bookstore that I couldn't quit looking at. She was way cute, he was OK. She definitely could have been a "look what I got" girl. She was dressed very modestly, but still extra cute. They looked happy and comfortable. I think if more people were actually happy, we wouldn't spend so much time trying to get people to notice our physical. The old adage hit it on the head "beauty starts within".

3-Ok, this is strange, I know. Every time I go to the bookstore and have to look something up, I feel like I'm in a movie. the scene: a crowded room, a woman walks in looking for "the book". She types then waits, not knowing what will appear on the monitor. Then.....there it is...."the book". But where? Now the hunt. She scours the shelves till that familiar cover catches her eye. Got it! There she stands with a whole nother world right in her hands. Everyone around her is oblivious to the treasure she has just acquired. Oh, the satisfaction.
I don't even really read, it was for my boys!

The last and very best news of the moment. I finally found a purse I love! I have been searching for one since before I went to New York. I swore I would buy one there, but didn't find anything I loved. I have been looking ever since. Finally last night, I came across one that caught my eye. Not only was it cute, but it wasn't huge and had a strap that actually fit over my shoulder. No strap going over the top to get in my way. I even got a new wallet that matches. Now, when you see my new purse, don't judge. I buy shoes and purses by sheer instinct. Most of the time I do not settle for something that I think is Ok. Everyone has their own tastes and preferences. Sometimes things just catch your eye and yell to you "you need me!" That was my new purse and I LOVE it.

4 comments:

Camille said...

I'd be more impressed with a guy that DOES use a coupon.

AND, post a picture of your new purse. I'm dying to see it. How can you do such a great lead up to it and then. . . leave us hanging! :)

Heather said...

I will be looking for the new purse and I agree don't buy one until is screams you want me. then you will know you love it.

coupon guy, I say not on a first date ever. But hey I am married to a guy who hates using gift cards on our dates. So I use them with my sister.

Anonymous said...

You are so right about people pretending to be someone else, putting forth a "fake front". You are so much happier when you are just yourself! And, I love the new purse! :) Dacia

Leslie said...

I love your random musings. The bookstore movie is classic.