Saturday, March 28, 2009

Crazy Date Night

Yesterday I drug myself to the gym and rode 7 miles on the bike then went 3 miles on the treadmill. It was fun to push a little. It also helped to get me out of my funky mood. I ate a healthy lunch, had a small nap and then I started getting ready. I decided to listen to a Conference address while doing my hair. I randomly chose one and what do you know - the topic was exactly what I had been cranky about. I love when I'm so vividly reminded of the Lord's awareness of each one of us. What a blessing.

We were invited to go with a group of people out to the dessert for a Mexican BBQ. I don't love the dessert and I had been so grouchy all week, I honestly wasn't super excited to go. It didn't help that I had offered to take dinner to a friend, who just had a baby, at 5 pm and they were leaving at 4:30. I really just wanted to meet up with them later, but they insisted we all go together at 4:30. I was able to take dinner early and get there in time to leave with them. I was in a better mood by now due to the previous paragraph. We all piled into 4 four wheel drive trucks. Once we turned off the main road, we headed down a trail made for quads. It was SO bumpy and rough. Big stretches of deep sand. I felt bad for the guy's truck that we were in, totally scratched it up. We didn't reach the destination till almost 8 pm. Hence the reason we couldn't just meet up with them later! Did I mention, the dessert, lots of bumps, long time - no bathrooms! A few girls took a potty break along the trail, but I made it all the way to the site. The site was up on top of a hill over looking Fountain Hills. It was really pretty, but I'm not sure it was worth the effort it took to get up there. The host couple had prepared a wonderful Mexican fiesta. Home made salsa, beans, guacamole and very tasty fajita meat that they grilled over coals once we got there. Very tasty!! We started a fire, ate and just hung out the rest of the night. I'm glad I went. It's just like so many other things, once you just get yourself there, you are happy you did. We didn't head back out till after 10 which didn't put us home till after 1 am. Glade got carsick on the way out. He rode in the back of the truck for several miles. He was freezing. I slept the rest of the way home. A very fun adventure, but next time I might suggest my backyard!! Thanks to everyone who put so much effort into the evening. As I have said so many times, we are blessed with great friends.

2 comments:

Tammy said...

I'm sorry, but that just does not sound so fun! Actually it reminds me of many adventures we had while in the singles ward and yes, at the time I thought it was great, but imagining it now...well, not so much. Glad you had a good time with the company though. That makes a big difference.

Lulu said...

I LOVED it! I am NOT the outdoorsy type, but I too love my friends and I think experiences like these bring us closer. So glad you guys ended up coming!