Monday, March 9, 2009

Extra Help

I've decided having a nanny would be wonderful. My girls are out of school this week for spring break. My younger kids are not until next week. Chelsey has track practice every morning. So it was just Whitley and me and the babies. I wanted to go running so was debating how, when and where. There is a park not far from Chelsey's school, where I would be needing to pick her up, so I decided to run there. I gave Whitley the choice to go and watch the kids there or stay home with them. She decided to go. They played while I ran. How nice! I could get used to having someone around to just "watch" my kids in situations like that. She helped with lunch while I showered. I even just stood in there for awhile not being afraid of what they were doing out there. It made the day very relaxing having one more set of hands and eyes. Don't get me wrong, I still acted like the mother, just with help. I do wish she could get some appreciation for what I do all day. I read a couple of papers she had written for classes that were saved on my computer. Unfortunately, she has a little distorted view of her family life. Makes me sad. I guess her time will come. She thinks she wants 10 kids. If that is the case, she will definitely get a little dose of reality about what a mom does all day. Until then, I guess I will just suck it up and know that she is a teenager and they are all about themselves and someday she will look back and say "sorry I was selfish!" I know that doesn't sound like Whitley, she's very quiet about it..lol! I love her and love having her around. She really is a special young lady. This is a poem she wrote about her name:

William, Willy,
Philliam, Philly,
LeeLee, Whittles,
Whittykins, Skittles.

All of these are based,
On a name meaning white as paste,
Whitley Michelle.

Sounds like a broken record,
Like it was more than just one word,
Screeching at the stop,
Yet full of flare and pop.

My name is just white,
Like my skin at first site.
But beautiful for sure
So clean and so pure.

I wouldn't trade my name for the world,
It was my mother's last as just a girl.
What changed it was a golden ring,
I wouldn't change it for anything.

I thought that was really good and clever. It's her wild imagination and creativity that may cause her more heartache than she needs, but what a great talent to have.

3 comments:

Leslie said...

What a cool poem! A nanny would be great for lots of situations. I do use my older girls like one sometimes. I don't think they mind too much. I think they'd rather help with the littlest than the ones closer to their own ages!

Camille said...

I always tell Jerel that I would like an "Alice" for just a day every now and then. You remember Alice from the Brady Bunch?! Yeah, she did all the housework while Carole got to be fun mom. That's what I want, no responsiblities and just have fun. Nice to dream. . .

Krista Darrach said...

Cute poem! Good writer!
You need a nanny! I don't know how you do it all. Whew!