Friday, November 28, 2008

Turkey Trot

The Turkey Trot.

This is the first year for everyone except Grandpa. We woke up to rain and cold. Most days I would thoroughly enjoy that, but not today. I don't need anything else slowing me down! There were just around 2000 people that ran it this year. We all got t-shirts and in the end we won a turkey for having the most family members finish the race. We tied with 2 other families so we all got a turkey. Everyone did so well! I was so impressed that everyone finished and mostly with a smile on their face. Stephen wanted to quit about the first mile, his shoes were bothering him. I told him to suck it up and keep going. I went ahead and assumed he was done. You had to run around a block at first and it brought you back to the starting line and then continued in a different direction from there. I was back at the starting line which was almost 3 miles when I could here them congratulating people who were coming across the finish line...sheesh! I felt like most of the race was uphill. Back to Stephen. I figured he would go sit in the park and wait for us to finish. After I came across, we were waiting for those who hadn't yet and along came Stephen. We cheered and yelled and he cried. I felt so bad for him. I know he cries when he is frustrated and embarrassed which I think he was probably both. I tried to hug him, but he just pushed me away. Needed a moment I guess. I was so proud of him for finishing. We also ran with some friends: Brett, Jake, Sammy, and Julia. The rain stayed away till just when the last people were finishing. I was very grateful!

Nick Grandpa, Derrick, Rhett, Glade, Kacy, Laurie, Sydney and Stephen
Our Times:

Jake - 47:06
Rhett - 1:01:05
Julia - 1:01:32
Nick - 1:02:28
Derrick - 1:02:28
Glade - 1:03:16
Laurie - 1:10:35
Stephen - 1:16:50
Sammy - 1:17:16
Brett - 1:23:19
Grandpa - 1:26:49
Kacy - 1:31:09
Sydney - 1:34:06

Now for a little FYI, Julia has never run 6 miles before. It was the best time I have ever done it in. Brett has heart problems and wasn't supposed to get his heart rate over 135, he did. Grandpa has really bad knees, Kacy sprained her ankle the day before and Sydney is 11 and has not trained in any way. I think those are all amazing little feats. I have a few more pictures but I'm not sure I will be posting those. I look bad enough in the before ones, you should have seen me after! Wait, no you shouldn't. Between the sweat, humidity and drizzle - drown rat. We are all now excited to try again next year so we can beat our times. Sidenote: We all(our family) walked funny the rest of the day.

6 comments:

Lulu said...

I will be sure to post an after picture on my blog. Ü I had the best time. Thank you so much for including me. This is only the beginning!!

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Smith Family! I am so proud of you, Laurie, for sticking to it! Dacia

Heather said...

I am so proud of you kids. That is so great. You all inspire me.

Leslie said...

You guys are awesome! I'm so proud of you!
Les.

Camille said...

Way to go! I forgot you guys were running or I would have stuck around and cheered you guys on. Jerel had a fun time running it too and wants to make it tradition for the whole family. I told him "We'll see." He said, "Laurie and Kristine do it." Yeah thanks guys. LOL

Jake and Jenny said...

It was so fun to see your family there. You did awesome! It was very inspiring for me, although I really enjoy just watching everyone else!