Wednesday, November 5, 2008

I'm Old and Loving it

Today I went to the park with some friends. Another ward was having their play day so it was really crowded. It's hard to watch Katy with that many people and of course the swings are a death trap. But while we were enjoying our time together, Katy went over by a group of women and started playing with one of their toys. I didn't mind because I would let some other kid play with our toys if they wanted to. Isn't that we're all there for? My friend was close by and heard them very "nicely" wondering where the mother of this child was. She was kind enough to pick her up and bring her to where I was. A little later I was near them again and was eavesdropping on their conversations. I just had to giggle at the "new mom" attitudes and experience. They were all one up-ing each other and sharing their very "read it in a book" knowledge of raising kids. It was tempting to let them know how wrong and funny they were but I stayed quiet. It made me realize that I was old and very happy about it. I remember having similar conversations and I also remember getting over it. I feel pretty real, without putting on pretenses or trying to showcase my kids for something they're not. I love the freedom that comes with age and experience. If you're not impressed with my kids, that's OK. If you think they are dirty or don't eat the best foods or say all the right things, that OK too. We are all trying and we are all happy, that's what makes it all OK.

Loving the Choc dance
Lately Katy has discovered chocolate milk. She LOVES it. I always give her regular milk with her meals, but in between she wants nothing to do with it. One day she just brought me the container of chocolate powder and a spoon. She said choc. Now if I say "do you want chocolate milk?" She does this little hoppy dance and does her very cute devil laugh. If I would ever take the time to charge my video camera it would be very worth it, it's too cute! Going along with the being old thing, I'm also aware that the benefits of milk outweigh the evils of chocolate. Drink on my little dancing baby!

Quote of the day: Bo: How many minutes till it snows on our house?

5 comments:

Heather said...

my sister and I say you should never judge anyone with kids older than you. I try to stick with that rule. I love being past the young parenting stage too.

Tell Bo he cracks me up with the snow thing.

Camille said...

According to Trevor, regular milk IS chocolate milk! lol

p.s. I loved your take on being a mom and not needing to "one up" each other.

Leslie said...

DITTO! Sofia asks for milk with chocolate, "Really please?" with her hands to the side of her face and her head tilted to the side...very cute. She gets the milk. With chocolate. And I don't even believe milk is good for you. :)
Les.

Lulu said...

Again, your not old. Wise though! Just kick me if you ever hear me trying to one up another mom k? Ü

Kristine said...

I think that you have always been wise Laurie, and I don't think you are old either! Thanks for the good reminder to love my kids for who they are!