Friday, November 7, 2008

21 Years ago Today



Excuse the bad scanning quality, but this is me and my Dad on November 7, 1987. My baptism. My eyes are red and puffy due to the non stop flow of tears. I had moved to Arizona just a few months before. I was vehemently opposed, being 16 and thinking my life was too good to give up. Lucky for me I have parents who knew better. I had agreed to come out for 6 months, then I was leaving to go back and live with my dad. Little did I know there was a Master plan. It was on the second or third day of school that James Hammond saw me sitting alone at a lunch table at a school much larger than I was used to. He offered to sit with me and that was the beginning.


I always say they tricked me. Group dates where we watched My Turn on Earth. Fireside dates where I thought we would be sitting on bales of hay singing songs. Lunch at seminary. I had never been so happy. My mom was still living in IL trying to wrap things up there. She was very concerned when I told her about it, you know, that cult thing. Once she got here, met the kids I was with and saw the change in me, she was nothing but supportive. The Hammonds let me take the discussions at their home. The Parkers became my church family. Great friends like Leslie and Lyrica taught me the ropes. Both my parents were supportive and let me make the best and most important decision of my life.


I have not regretted it once in the last 21 years. I have to admit, right before my baptism I had this little thought "what if it's NOT right?" My conclusion: "Then I'll go down with the best people I have ever known!" The list is long of people who helped me get where I am today. I'm most grateful for my parents who saw the change in me and to James who took pity on the lonely new girl. And, of course, my Heavenly Father who knew me before I knew Him. Happy Baptism to me!

8 comments:

Heather said...

I hope you have this conversion story written down somewhere. I loved reading it and would love to read the whole thing. Happy Baptism anniversary, and what a way to celebrate then at Time out for couples. Have a great night.

Camille said...

What a beautiful story, I'm so glad you shared it. How is it that I've known you for years and not known this story about you? I didn't know you joined the church at age 16. Love you!!

Leslie said...

Happy Baptism Day! I am so happy I was there with you and I'm even more grateful that I am still there with you. You were a valiant spirit to know you could handle not having the gospel from the get-go. Love you.
Les.

Tairi said...

I didnt know you were a convert! Happy Baptism day to you. What great friends you really had. I admire you, that is such a big decision to make at 16. I LOVE the hair!

Kristine said...

Thanks for sharing such an inspiring story...actually you live an inspiring life, still!

SherriH said...

Has it been that many years already? Holy cow! Congrats on the anniversary of your Baptism. It took me a little longer to find the Lord but like you, I'm very glad His plan was for us to find and love Him!

I miss you!!

Lulu said...

Holy great hair! Why don't you wear it like that now?? Great story, and I love the last thought, going down with great people.

Unknown said...

Happy anniversary from one convert to another!

When you look back, can you see it any other way! ;-)

BARZ