Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Easy to help


Today I did some Thanksgiving shopping. As I was driving away, I started doing the math in my head. I can make a Thanksgiving dinner for 12 people for around $25. That's actually pretty cheap. Costs me more to go to Taco Bell. Here's how it broke down:

12 lb Turkey - $6 at 45 cents/lb

10lbs potatoes - $1.47

3 lbs apples - $3.00

pie crust - $2.50

3 jars gravy (no, I don't make my own)- $3.00

Corn casserole or greenbean casserole - $3.50

Homemade rolls - $2.00

Stuffing - $1.00 per box

Chocolate pie - $3.00


Total - 25.50


My point to this really - to help a family out this Thanksgiving wouldn't be too much of a hardship for most of us. I'm sure I will spend that much going to see Twilight this weekend. Maybe get together with another family and do it together. There is a lot of need out there, especially this year.


"When ye are in the service of your fellow beings, ye are only in the service of your God."