Wednesday, April 9, 2008

boys will be boys?

So I have had a really productive, nice day. Good day at the gym, the scale is being nice. Tidied up my house, had a nice lunch with my little ones. Was just laying down for a nice nap when the phone rings. Not good. It's the school. One of my boys has been in a fight and has to be picked up. This is a fairly new situation for me. Both boys tell the same story. They were just messing around and the other kid (with admitted anger management problems) freaks out and pops my son once on the chin and again in the eye. Mine swings back and now the teacher gets involved. Both boys give identical stories and are sent home. My first thoughts are extreme frustration for having to deal with this in the first place. You know better! Then as the details come out I start to wonder if I should be too upset at all. Fighting is always wrong, but what are the instincts of getting popped in the face? I don't know, never been there. He definitely made some bad choices in who he chose to play with and what activity they were doing. (5 kids all pushing each over) So now what? I honestly don't know. Right now he is weeding my garden. Is a black eye and fat lip enough? Help!!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

HEY THERE! It's BARZ. I got a link to your blog from Leslies.

And yes, boys will be boys. Don't be to hard on him. He may have a future in rugby! ;-)

Lulu said...

Yes, natural consequences. The best way. But a boy tends to think a black eye and fat lip are a good thing.

SherriH said...

hey there, somtimes things go a little far. You're boy didn't throw the first punch, he was simply defending himself. It's worse to be known as a tattle-tale that one that fights back. Julia has it right, for a boy, a black eye is a badge of honor.

I know fighting is not right but a kid has to defend himself. The teacher should've stopped the game they were playing before it got that far but.......stuff happens!!

My boy got a day of in-school suspension for defending himself. The 2 boys that were picking on him (and all the stories were the same)got a dentention. Needless to say, those boys don't pick on him anymore.

Give him a hug, let him know that fighting is wrong but that sometimes you have to fight back. You have good kids, they are going to make some wrong decisions occasionally. Aunt Sherri is proud of him for standing up for himself!!

gena said...

Your punishment was perfect! and now you know you don't have a pansy on your hands:) and he did take the first 2 before he fought back...boys will be boys, but they aren't allowed anymore at school. I was told by Trenton's teacher if there is blood as a result, even if they were just messing around, they are obligated to call the police...not looking forward to that phone call. ugg!