Friday, September 25, 2009

What I Miss

I'm going to preface this with an adamant statement of "I'm not looking for pity." I also want to state that this is not directed in any specific direction. Ok, for what I miss. I miss friends to hang out with. I'm in a little bit of a weird spot in my life being "older" and having small children. Most of my friends who are my age (or close to it) don't have small kids at home anymore so their idea of hanging out doesn't really include strollers and happy meals. Totally understandable. My friends who do have small children at home, don't really have "big" kids yet so the fact that I do makes some things more awkward. Again, totally understandable.

I think what partially ads to the difficulty of just hanging out is that I no longer live in a neighborhood. I have to clarify right here that I love being where I am. However, being in a neighborhood has it's perks. People would just come out and kids could play up and down the street. Friends could walk over with their kids and just chat for awhile. Out here, any kind of contact is usually a planned event.

I miss the days when we would all just meet at McDonalds and talk for 2 hours while our kids played or standing outside with my great neighbors talking about nothing and running inside every few minutes to check on dinner. I guess there are trade offs in all things we do. I miss those days.

Many of my friends have gone back to work and are no longer available for lunch dates or trips to the park. I'm sad for that too. Though I have days when it would be nice to have friends to hang out with, I'm certainly not sad about the two little friends I do get to hang out with each day. I love love love having little ones at home and wouldn't trade this time for anything.

No comments: