Sunday, September 13, 2009

Karaoke and Scones

Saturday was go go go. Kids were in all directions starting at 8:30 am. I had both Glade and I plus Chelsey on taxi duty. I had several errands I needed to run that I wanted to do childless so I was really rushing to get everything in and done and people picked up and dropped off all at the right times. One of my favorite stops was at my mom's house. Those cute jeans I got the night before were a little flared for my taste so mom was able to taper them a bit and make them perfect. We went to the mall together to return a few things and then we went our separate ways. I went to finally take my vacuum to the fix it place and he tells me that for $200 he would sell me a new hose and that that was really my only option, it wasn't fixable. I left with my broken hose and came home to call another guy who says he can fix it with a $35 piece. We shall see.

Spent the rest of the afternoon cooking hamburger for the scone party that was last night for Dennis's 50th birthday party and a fundraiser for Sis. Sourant. The kids all came home eventually and we all got around and headed to the church. Scones were yummy as always. Tons of people showed up and the most fun was watching the karaoke. Normally I don't enjoy that, but it was fun last night. There was a $5 entry fee to sing to raise money so all of my little ones put in their own money so they could sing. They did great! Whitley started off with "My Heart Will Go On". She struggled a little because she has never really sang that or heard it too much, but she wanted to surprise me. How sweet. Next was Stephen, of all songs to sing..especially at the church...was "It's 5:00 Somewhere". He did really well though. Then came Rhett who sang "Play Something Country". I love that song so I howled along with him at the howly parts. One of my friends pointed out that he and Stephen both swore during their songs. I asked Rhett if he noticed that and he said "I just said helluva time". I'm not sure if at first he realized what it was saying. He shooed it off as "just a song mom". My favorite was Dalin. He went to sing and Dennis sent him away telling him to find a CD. I told Dennis he didn't want one so he handed Dalin the microphone. He proceeded to sing, almost word for word.."Start A Band". I was really impressed. He got into it too, no shy genes in our family! Someone even commented about how none of my kids were scared to perform. Nope. Brooklyn and her friend Rebecca sang "Everyday" from HSM2. They did really good, I love that song.

They drew numbers for prizes, but lots of people had gone home, so all the kids ended up with something little and that made them very happy. Sweet story...Stephen wanted to go out and play so he told me that if they called his number, get the ****** so he could give it to Dad for Christmas. Well his number was called and even though I know Glade does not need that or even probably want it, I love that Stephen thought of someone else first, so I got it for him. He also spent the evening running scones back and forth and was about the last one to eat. He really is a good kid.

It was a fun and busy day with a great ending. I think they raised a decent amount of money, Dennis had a great birthday and everyone had an enjoyable evening. Can't beat that.

3 comments:

Tomena said...

It's probably a good thing I can't tast these scones. I'm trying to be good.

Tammy said...

It was a great night! We all had a lot of fun and the scones were delicious!

Camille said...

What a fun night. I love scones and karaoke--so sounds like a blast. And I love the sweet story about Stephen. It's good to see those sweet little sides of them. :)