Friday, September 25, 2009

Roller Coaster

Sigh. Today has been a roller coaster and I can't really say I like it that much. I have felt PMSy for about a month now. I don't really like that either. This week has been a little busy and stressful which I don't do well with without a little break. Normally my little breaks come between noon and 3 pm. This week was early release all week so there was no "little breaks". That didn't help either. The mornings have been beautiful so that has been a nice change. Last night was supposed to be our Bunko night which I thought was perfect timing. Only 4 girls showed up. Not good. I even made stuffed manicotti from scratch. No one to eat it. Bummer. Then Glade is gone this weekend which makes the last two Fridays without a date night and he is gone next Friday as well. This weekend is homecoming with Chelsey so she and I have been at each other a little. See, she gets weird at times like this and is a little rude and ungrateful. I try to help and spend time trying to find the right shoes and shrug and purse for her and of course she hates all of it. Very frustrating. So today I just thought, I've had enough. I think a good cry would come in handy right now. But...as usual...I just didn't have the time. I had told my kids I would take them to my mom's house so they could look through Halloween costumes. I really didn't want to go, but I figured it would be better than sitting around feeling sad, soooo.......we went.

This is where it gets good. I'm going to give my mom credit even though it wasn't anything she did intentionally. We ate left over manicotti, I went through my grocery list and the kids went through costumes. It's always chaotic, but fun in the end. We have tons of costumes from over the years so it's always fun to reminisce. I was looking for a particular piece of a costume or something, I'm really not sure what, but I was going through my mom's "extra" closets. Let me preface with....be careful when you open the door, things may fall! That's how my mom's closets are. She needs to read my post "Throw it Away" on my other blog. Anyway, once I opened it and started digging around, I got obsessed with getting to the bottom. Oh the things in that closet! I could have done this for hours except I had to go pick up Dalin. I'm pretty sure she couldn't have remembered half that stuff in there.

The goods: a bag containing three dresses and a skirt I wore in high school (may have to post pictures), whole bag of 70s colored yarn and pieces of an afghan in the same ugly colors, whole bag of streamers, tons of fabric including some I thought were wigs when I first saw them, old mauve throw pillows and many other "why do you have this?" sort of things. The best part.....

Let me tell this little story first. My mom and I have had this ongoing "argument" about where a box of pictures from my teen years was. I insisted she had it and she insisted she didn't. I have looked everywhere at home and even quite a bit at her house. I have been really sad that they went missing, even to the point of praying for help in finding them. Can you see where I'm going with this? There, buried under some pillows and other unrecognizable stuff, was my box of pictures. The reason this touches me so much is this.....with the week I have had, and the mood I haven't been able to shake, the Lord waited till just the right time to help me find that box. I've looked around her house before and never found them, but tonight....it was exactly what I needed. Finding those and going through her closets laughing and discovering totally made my crouchies go away. I feel grateful for the tender mercies He grants us and am always in awe of the way He goes about distributing them. Through a mom who is a pack rat on a lonely Friday night without my spouse....all lined up perfectly. Thanks mom, for a really great night!

1 comment:

Dacia said...

Memories are great, but to have the actual proof of pictures is priceless. Glad you found them, just when you needed to. Prayers will be answered, when you need the answer most.