Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Labor Day

Monday started with a bunch of really bored children. It was as if they had never been home during the day before. I decided we would go ahead and get the Saturday chores done that we didn't do on Saturday. That didn't go over well, but when you have plans like going to the pool, it's a great motivator. Chelsey was gone all morning hiking and didn't really want to go with us, but I insisted. I have a very short time left with jurisdiction over what she does, so I wanted her to go. I think she was glad she did. I spent the morning making pasta salad and jello cake. I also did a pre-programmed workout on the treadmill. It was hard! I kept having to stop it to catch my breath. My calves were burning, but shockingly, I'm not sore today. By afternoon, we were all cleaned up and ready to go to the pool. Fortunately, our friends beat us there and told us not to come that there was a 45 min wait to get in. They came to our house and waited with us for about 40 minute, then we called and got the go ahead that there was no wait. We spent about an hour at the pool, came home and got changed and headed to the Johnson's for a BBQ. We ate and played games while the kids hung out. I think everyone had a great time. I ate way too much as always. We got home around 8:30 to find that one of our puppies is missing.

I looked for her last night, but she didn't come home. The other one, whined all night without her. I feel really sad for my kids, they were really upset this morning when she still wasn't here. I tried to convince them that someone probably found her and took her home with them. Even though that gave a little comfort, they are sad that the sisters are apart and at the thought that maybe she was eaten by a coyote. Now I have one dog I need to get rid of. A very sad dog.

Today has brought more canning and lots of cleaning. I know I said we cleaned on Saturday, but today I was left with dishes, lunch packing mess and all the stuff that wound up on the floor yesterday. It feels good to really get in there and clean stuff up. It's nice to be able to have something canning while you can do something else. Now, on the subject of canning....I found out you can can butter! I have come across two blogs of people who can most anything and one girl has listed the how-to's of a lot of it. I can't wait for butter to go on sale! Whitley asked me if I thought that me learning all of this was going to mean we would have to use it someday, like out of necessity. She wasn't very excited about all that. I told her I didn't know, but wouldn't it be great if we did! What I mean is, I know how to do it, I've done it, and now we are prepared...or getting there. Who knows who or when these things are going to be life saving, but at least I can have peace about my family right now. Not to mention, it's really fun and rewarding! I am so intrigued by these blogs I have been reading and all the things they do for themselves. I think the last thing she posted was that she need to stock up on toilet paper before the winter. Then she said "I'm sure I could make my own, the time is just not yet." Make your own toilet paper? Very inspiring. Hopefully any skills I learn will be of benefit to someone.

Now I need to adjust to today being Tuesday, not Monday. Scouts and my boys first soccer game tonight, and exactly one week from today....the Biggest Loser starts! Maybe I will find my motivation.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would draw the line at making toilet paper! No, you can't recycle it, either. I think it is fantastic all the canning you are doing. Butter? ick. Dacia

Leslie said...

I've canned butter! It's really only good for cooking...not so good for spreading on toast. I'd love some links to those blogs you've found. Maybe I can get inspired, too!

Unknown said...

Hey what are the links to those blogs? I love finding good canning blogs.