Saturday, September 5, 2009

Addiction

I think I could be addicted to canning! I think about it all the time. What else...what else. I'll tell you what else....the 35 lbs of hamburger I found in the freezer! Not to mention the 6 lbs of sausage. I'm not keeping anything in the freezer! Glade thinks it looks disgusting and is a little concerned about how it will taste in a month or two. I read a blog about a guy who is agrarian. Gotta look up that one. I think it just means living off the land. Anyway, they can everything they grow and eat. I figure it even costs less than cooking it and freezing it when you consider buying the baggies and using the electricity to run the freezer. The BEST part is that my Gramma B totally ROCKS!! I called her yesterday to see if she had an old pressure cooker and she didn't. But, today, she ran across a lady selling hers for $15!!! Unheard of. Double rack and all. Bonus, a dozen jars for $1. I don't know how many of those I ended up with, but I told her to get what she could. The only catch is that she lives in Illinois. Lucky for me, we are going back there in October. Could it get any better?? I'll letchya know! Ü

3 comments:

Tammy said...

I'm sure you could become addicted to canning. Meats are so easy and fun to do. I do have to agree with Glade though, it does look gross and I think when you first open it up, it also smells gross, but it tastes good and is easy to do and nice to have so you just have to deal with the bad look and smell. I like to buy the london broil when it is on sale, have the butcher cut it into stew meat(as you probably know, they will do that for free), and then can that up. So easy! I love it. Enjoy your new addiction!

Tammy said...

Oh also, you got an awesome deal! If you need to borrow a pressure canner while you wait for yours, you are welcome to use mine. I don't think I will be canning too much this year.

Leslie said...

I'm totally jealous of the pressure canner deal. I've been feeling really antsy about having so much food in my freezer. Maybe I should can it all.