Monday, January 10, 2011

Runnin fools

What a great day in the running world! Today Rhett and Brooklyn had a cross country meet. On Friday Brooklyn said she had a run a 9 something min/mile at school. I said there was no way. Her best time for the mile and a half has been 16:45. She walks a lot of it. So Saturday Rhett and I went to the school to measure the distance to see if it was a full mile they were timing them on. Sure enough, it was. Rhett had run a 6:10 min/mile that same day. She couldn't remember what the seconds were on her time, but lets say it was 9:55...in her races, she hasn't really run less than 12 min/miles. That's significantly faster. Once I found out it was a full mile, I got a little tough with her and told her I wanted to see that at her next race. No more of this social running/walking she was doing.

After dropping them off at the track for their meet, I went for a quick run before it started. Because I knew it had to be fast, I tried to run hard. I went 3.25 miles in 30 min. That averages 9:14 min/miles. I don't think it's my fastest, but pretty fast for me. It felt good.

Back to the track. Rhett ran first. He has been coming in about 12th place at most of the meets where there are only 3 schools running at a time. Today all the schools ran together. He was determined to make top 10 today. He was so close! He ran his 1.5 miles in 9:07 and got 11th! The first kid crossed at 8:36. I was so proud of him I wanted to jump over the fence and tackle him right there on the spot. I refrained. Still, it choked me up to see him give so much and do so well.

Then it was Brooklyn's turn. She started out at the very back of the pack. Once they leave the track area, you can't really see their progress till they are almost done so we just had to wait. Lo and behold, here she comes! She finished in 14:53 and only took one walking break. She even beat about 10 other girls. She said it was hard. Yes, I told her, but you did it! What a super fun night. I thought it only appropriate to stop for ice cream on the way home. Next week is the final meet. I will NOT forget my camera.

2 comments:

Dacia said...

AWESOME job, kids!

Leslie said...

Way to go, kiddos!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who chokes up at kid events.