Monday, January 17, 2011

My Weekend Outside the Box

What a crazy busy week. Friday, the kids had a half day and I had made plans to have lunch with Mom. Since Chelsey was still here, she agreed to pick up the kids at noon so I could still go to lunch. I left around 10:30 to meet mom at 11. We did a little shopping, shared a salad at Red Robin and then walked the mall a little until the movie started. Once Chelsey got the kids, she came and joined us for the movie. We saw Country Strong. I can't say I would recommend it, pretty sad, but it was OK. I'm glad I saw it. I got back home around 3:30. A whole day of being the daughter, not the mom!!

It was my friends birthday and she had invited us to go out with them, so we were leaving at 5:30. In the meantime, we were still dealing with some drama over Chelsey breaking up with this boy she had been dating. I guess he wasn't taking it well and kept texting her. Now he says he's two miles from our house if she wants to talk. What's relevant about that is that he lives in Flagstaff. Why are you here?? (turns out he was here for a funeral, but we didn't know that) We were all a little creeped out by his behavior, so Chelsey went and stayed with my mom for the evening. They shopped and had dinner and then just chilled at her house. I felt much better about that since we were not going to be home. We went to dinner and then to a comedy club called Jesters. I had heard about it, but never been. It's actually LDS owned and completely clean and appropriate. We had a great time. It would even be appropriate for my kids, very fun.

Saturday morning we were up bright and early for our ward Run/Breakfast. I was going to do my long run before, but my iPod was dead. We ran the mile, ate some pancakes and then we had to leave for our first Hairspray rehearsal. Chelsey took the rest home with her. She was quite handy!! Rehearsal went well. The singing part was torture, but then we danced and that was fun. I realized then that I have a gift for learning quickly. I was slightly frustrated at how long it took and how many times we had to go over the same thing. I decided instead to be grateful for my gifts instead of be mad at other peoples lack of. We ended at noon at which point we said our goodbyes to Chelsey and I headed to Wal mart to get things for Sunday dinner. I was home just long enough to lay down for a bit, do a little work and clean up before we were headed out for another date night.

Because we had auditioned for Hairspray, they gave us two tickets each to a show on Saturday night called the Broadway Baritones. Normally we wouldn't go to anything like that but since it was free...we did. We went with some good friends to dinner, the show and then ice cream. We even took Whitley and Stephen since they had free tickets as well.

Sunday I taught my first lesson in YW. I was pretty nervous, but luckily there are only three of them and the YW president wasn't there that day so that pressure was off. I think it went ok, Whitley said it was "so great" but I think she may be biased. Bo gave a talk in primary in which he helped me write and read all by himself without any help. Glade said 4 people came up to him after church to tell him how great Bo did. He's fun. Sunday dinner brought the whole family together. That doesn't happen very often. I love having everyone together. We ate tacos, played games and enjoyed just sitting around talking. Because there was no school the next day, there wasn't a big rush for everyone to leave either.

It was a jampacked weekend which was a fitting end to our jampacked week. Fortunately, it was all good stuff. I can handle that kind of busy. Now Chels is gone and the kids will go back to school and life should return to our very not-normal normal. Life is good.

2 comments:

Amy said...

I love the relationship you have with your mom! That sounds so nice to have a day "being the daughter and not the mom!" You are an awesome mom! I so hope my teenage girls turn out as beautiful as yours! I loved hanging out with Chelsey! Her knowledge is so much more than mine at that age!

Tina said...

I love our relationship too. And am so grateful that she makes a point to find time for me in her already too busy schedule.