Friday, May 15, 2009

Spirit and Scorpions

Yesterday was a doozy for Whitley. She woke up, put her pants on and something poked her. She rubbed it and then felt another poke. She says to Chelsey "what keeps poking me?" After 5 pokes, she is able to get her pants off and find the little intruder. A scorpion. They managed to kill it, but not before she battled it out with him. She went ahead and went to school even though it stung. By the end of her first class, she was starting to feel tingly in her arms and legs and face. She went to the nurse who called mom and told her she would need a trip to the ER. Another nurse came on and said, that "no" this was normal and she could even stay at school. Whitley was far too upset and freaked out to stay, so she went home. She said it didn't hurt anymore, but that all the tingling and numbing felt creepy and was scary. She cried for quite a while. I was communicating via cell phone while I was waiting to get off the ship. I told her to call Julia for some paste and Stacy for some advice. She did and they both came through. I think it was a little late for the paste at that point because the stinging had already stopped, but I guess Julia came in record time and we truly appreciate that! Stacy came over, checked her out and called poison control. They said that with the number of times she was stung, it could last for 24 hours, but she should be fine. Whitley was afraid to be alone while mom went to work so Stacy took her home with her and took care of her. Again, we were all grateful for that. I drove home without any worries.

That night she had a choir concert at which she had a solo. We weren't sure how well that was going to work since her cheeks and tongue were tingly. She did great! Chelsey did her hair for her since she couldn't grip the straightener. She was a trooper. The best part is that the choir she was in all voted on a couple of awards and they chose Whitley to receive the spirit award. Yeah for Whitley! Now both girls have a choir award. Silly me didn't bring my camera to take pictures so we have none.

The concert was way too long and unfortunately for me, I hate choir music, so it was a really long hour and a half. I'm sure for what it was, they were terrific, just not my thing. I certainly don't get mother of the year award for enthusiasm in attending concerts. Both girls were beautiful and did great.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I would never get mother of the year if the criteria was that I had to actually want to attend a concert or school program. I enjoy the two minutes of my child's part and then the rest is rather tedious. And I don't think we're abnormal feeling that way.

Too bad about Whitley. Scorpion stings are more scary than anything else, unless you're actually allergic. Then you need to take Benedryl right away. My dad is allergic, no one else in family is though. Five stings really is a lot and that would be scary to not be able to grip the straightener. Gives a perspective on people with disabilities though.

Jess said...

poor Whitley, that totally stinks.

I like attending all my kids events, I just hate when they schedule more than one at one time and I can't get to all of them. I think I am not the norm.

So how was the cruise?

Lulu said...

She really was such a trooper! I am so glad your mom was there with her.

Tammy said...

Ouch! Hope she's feeling better today.