Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Free is NOT always good

How many hours are there in a day? This morning I thought the clock had stopped. I even sunk to watching Twilight and hanging up laundry. I had my kitchen, floors, front living room and laundry (mostly) done by like 10 am. By afternoon, time was ticking a little faster, so by 5 I started dinner. I was so excited. Olive Garden has this chicken tortellini stuff that is so good. I bought stuffed tortellini at Costco and was cooking the chicken when I read that Joe's BBQ was giving away free meals today. We never take our kids out to eat so I thought maybe that would be fun. I hadn't started cooking the pasta yet so I figured I was ok to have it tomorrow. We loaded up and headed out for the 35 minute drive to the place. I had read that the wait was less than 20 minutes. Not too bad. When we finally got there, there were probably 500 people in line. It was crazy. My kids had no desire to stand in that line. Now we were clear across town, haven't eaten yet and anything else we decided to do wouldn't be FREE. I was so regretting this decision. We ended up at Taco Bell with all the kids pitching in to pay for it. I was perfectly happy to go home for tortellini, but they thought not.

The ride home was torturous. I almost yelled "shut up" and we do not use that word. The fighting about nothing and who had the last drink or the most drink or touching....I could not take anymore. After my initial outburst, they quieted a little. Katy cried pretty much the whole way. She didn't like the song on the radio or the drink handed to her, or where her buckle was placed on her carseat. GRRRRR! Finally when Stephen and Rhett were wrestling right behind me I was done. I wish I had gone with my second instinct (my first was to yell at them), I should have stopped the car and kicked their butts out. We were only 3 miles from home. They would have been fine.

I was so happy when a friend called and asked if I wanted to go running when I got home. My inner thighs and quads are so sore, but I thought anything to get me away from these little rugrats for a few moments would be good for me. She came and got me and we ran just over 2 miles. It sure felt like more. It still felt good to get out and move and sweat a little after a lazy day at home. I got home and most of my kids were in bed so ....ahhhh! A good night's sleep and tomorrow is another day.

In my email, I got a cruise offer for 4 days for $99. It's like in a week though. I think we are going to do it as my mother's day present. Haven't talked to my mom yet, but it would be so great! Anyone wanna come??

6 comments:

Tammy said...

I wanna come!!! That is so cool that you may be able to go on a cruise in just a few days. Wow. I hope it works out. It always drives me crazy when I think I am doing a great thing for the kids and they end up just fussing and fighting. So annoying! Glad you got a good run in after all that. You have to love a good endorphine kick!

tenyreeny said...

Count me in. :>)

Krista Darrach said...

I love cruises...they are the best!!
That is how our kids acted most of the time.. which is why I marvel at you and your nine. It was so hard raising them...I don't miss it. (okay, sometimes I do)
Now I have grandkids and I love them! They are so fun and I can give them back when I'm done.
It's Perfect.

Unknown said...

Free is totally not worth it when it causes such chaos. Being that I don't have nine kids, my experience, which was similar to yours, I'm sure wasn't anywhere near as terrible as yours. I feel for you though. I always think twice about "free" things. Is it really going to be worth it to me? Most of the time I would rather just pay and not have the hassle of the "free". Did that make sense?

Anyways, that cruise sounds like so much fun!! I love cruises. We would go with you guys but I don't think Chris could get off work and I don't think I could make arrangements for the kids that fast.

Kathy said...

Dang! I wish I could go!!!

Renee said...

Did you read about the lady who DID kick her kids out and was arrested?
Been there - done that (only once though!)
Luckily, didn't get arrested.