Saturday, May 2, 2009

Free is Good

Friday I spent the morning with my mom getting stuff ready for the yard sale. If you have been to my house in the last 6 months you may have noticed the growing pile of stuff in the corner of my living room. Finally, we decided to just get it done. Stephen went and spent the night with my mom so he could get up early and help her get things moved out. Chelsey had her SATs today, so I had to bring her in in the morning for that. Whitley had a 4 am hike with the young women and Glade went for a 70 mile ride with Jake at that same time as well.

It's always a little panicky trying to get everything out and organized and have people showing up and hoping you have enough change and wondering if there will even be people. The morning started off pretty warm, but the breeze picked up and it was really nice. Mom had a bee hive in her front yard and the bees were a little annoying. Mom and I both got stung within a minute of each other. It was weird. They were fine all morning, came and attacked us, and then went away. Stephen sat out and sold donuts and soda. That was his money maker. I think he made like $28. Not too shabby! I ended up making about $150 and mom made right at $200. I was thrilled. I went there with a bunch of crap that was taking up space and came home with a nice wad of bills!

Once we decided to close up shop, we put everything in boxes at the end of the drive way, put everything we wanted in the garage and then put a "free" sign on the garage door. We left and went to Red Robin for lunch waiting to see what would happen. Glade met us for lunch as well. I like him. After lunch, we stopped at the children's used store and took in some of the stuff I didn't sell. When we got back to mom's house, it was all gone. A few boxes with some garbage and a few weird odds and ends was all that was left. Nice!! Works every time. People love free stuff. That is just a fact. They don't even care what it is, they just take it cuz it's free. We didn't have to haul anything off, we just threw away the remnants and called it good. Didn't get home till 3 pm and I was sunburned and tired! My poor kids had been home alone all day. My house was a wreck and I didn't even care. I laid down for a very short rest and decided to just get up and go to the gym. I had some Red Robin that needed to be dealt with..lol!

On the way to the gym I took Chelsey to the movies. She met some friends there. Saturday night at the gym was great! Practically empty. Some kind of testosterone took over my body or something cuz I just wanted to grunt and sweat and make growly faces. I ran 3 miles, then biked for 12 min, then rowed for 10 minutes, then did weights for 15 min. That may not sound like that much, but it was an hour straight of high intensity stuff. It felt great! I just kept thinking "what's next?" What's probably next, is that I won't be able to walk tomorrow! When I got out to my car, there was a piece of paper on my steering wheel. Kind of creepy. (I never lock my car) Someone opened my door and put something in it. I looked around cautiously and took it out. Upon examining it, I recognized the handwriting and was touched by the "I love you sweetheart" written upon it. Glade had run to Home Depot while I was at the gym, they are right next door, and stopped to put the note in my car. Too sweet.

On the way home I had to pick up eggs for tomorrow. I called home and bribed my kids to get things straightened up really fast and I would bring them home ice cream sandwiches. Worked like a charm! Got home, showered, picked up Chelsey and returned to a very clean house and children. All ready for Sunday! Not a typical Saturday for me, but it was a good one!

Oh yeah, Whitley babysat for Julia tonight. While she was picking her up, I was chatting with her and she mentioned that she was going to Gecko Grill for dinner. They have our favorite dish. She brought me home one so I can eat it tomorrow!! I'm so excited....Thanks Julia!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

man, what another busy day in the Smith home! That is so sweet of Glade to leave you a note. He's awesome. Dacia

Unknown said...

That's cute your "I like him" line in there. I would hope that you like him, all those kids and all.

Leslie said...

Free is good but $150 is better! Your workout was awesome, and Glade is a sweetheart, isn't he?

Jake and Jenny said...

What a busy day! I am so glad your garage sale was a success!