Wednesday, March 30, 2011

A cowgirl I ain't!

I have been really wanting to ride horses lately. I asked around to see if there was anyone willing to maybe take Glade and I and make it a date. So far I haven't had too much luck. I happened to mentioned it to the right person who let me know that he rides every Monday morning. I thought, perfect! The kids were still out of school, but I knew Glade would never go for it. Anyone remember his last horse story?? Anyway, turned out he couldn't go in the morning, but in the afternoon instead. After making a few arrangements to get my kids picked up from school, Whitley and I headed out for the San Tans on horseback with my friend. We rode for about two hours all around the mountains. If I didn't distinctly remember sitting atop "Roberto", I would swear I got drug behind him instead. OW!!

We didn't just stay on a nice little trail, we went straight through the desert and up and down big crevices that were a little scary. Whitley was a pro. Of course, I got the lame horse. At one point, Kenny yells back "he's gonna fall asleep right there if you don't get him moving!" Turns out that right at the end he also comments "I think somethings wrong with his leg." Uh-huh. Kenny doesn't name his horses so Whitley and I decided to name them for him. He said he perferred Spanish names, cuz they sound tougher. Well, I chose "Roberto" and Whitley chose "Alejandro" and for his horse........"MoonBeam". Shoulda named it while he had the chance!

It was really fun to be out, but at the same time, my knees were killing me and now, two full days later, I can almost move my body without wincing. Every muscle in my back ached, my thigh muscles were sore and I don't even have to mention SITTING! So as much as I appreciate him going through so much trouble to take us, I can't imagine it becoming a regular thing. I guess if you toughen up to it, but I can't really see that happening either. So my respect goes out to all those pioneers and cowboys who rode day after day to get to Zion! Your butt's better than mine.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

I don't remember Glade's horse story. Refresh my memory. :)

I'm not a big fan of riding horses either. It's kinda like spin class only without the cardio benefits.