Sunday, March 27, 2011

Reflection on my New Adventure

Well, the week with our guest went fine, I guess. No major catastrophes. Unfortunately, I was reminded once again that you can't make people want to change. As logical and passionate as you can be, if they don't care.... Without sharing too much or being too person, here is what I observed.

Kids need parents. If they don't have a strong family, they will go look elsewhere. I'm not judging her parents, everyone does what they feel is best for them, but she is lonely. She looks for those relationships elsewhere so she finds other kids who are looking for the same thing. Typically, these kids are the same ones who end up in trouble. She is very kind and respectful and knows how to say all the right things, she doesn't ever get mad or throw fits...she's great at saying just what you want to hear, but in the end the story hasn't changed...she's lonely. Not only is she lonely, but she's stinkin stubborn. I know what's in her head because I was very much like her as a teenager. Even if she wishes things were different and she saw some merit in the things we told her, she may never follow through with them because that would mean "we were right". She certainly doesn't want anyone to think she agrees with them or cares what they think. Very sad.

Due to a few things that occurred (fairly innocently), she probably got in trouble when she got home. Rightfully so, but the fact is, is that she went right back into the battle zone. I did not send her home feeling very good about our experience. I guess my hope at this point is that someday in her dark hour, she will remember that there's light and that someone had told her about a way to be happy. We will, of course, keep contact with her and continue to offer support and love for her family, but right now I don't see that we were able to do much good for her. So disappointing.

No comments: