Monday, March 21, 2011

A New Adventure

I guess my life is just too dull so I decided to shake things up a bit. We have a young girl in our ward who is having a hard time making good choices and getting a long with her family right now. I have tried to reach out to her, but I wasn't aware of the specifics of their trials. I received an email from her mother relating to me some of the trouble they have experienced with her lately and asking that I keep an eye out for her at our activities.

While sitting in church on Sunday, the thought occurred to me that maybe she should come stay with us this week while the big kids are on spring break. Glade wasn't completely up for the idea, but he didn't shoot it down either. I approached her mother with the idea and later that day she called to say they would love to give it a try. That night, Glade and I went over to talk with her and her parents about what the expectations would be and what we hoped she would get out of it. We all bore testimony to her of the joy she can find by living a clean life and following in the ways of the Savior. It kind of felt like talking to a brick wall, but she said she wanted to come.

Because she is doing so poorly in school, she is at school during the day trying to get things done that will help her pull her grades up. Today was our first day together and, for the most part, it went well. Unfortunately, she and Nick have had a little "thing" here and there so having him here was not a good thing. I had predicted that would happen, so I made arrangements for him to spend the nights with a friend in the ward. Hopefully this boy can be a good influence on Nick as well. It's a little awkward for her to be here, but she is cheerful and cooperative so at least it's not a battle. Her mom texted me this evening and told me she hadn't seen her as happy and positive as she had been this last 24 hours in a very long time and how grateful she was we were doing this.

I don't know that we can make a difference, but I'm just hoping that pulling her out of the contentious home situation and away from her friends that don't help her do what is right, will give her an opportunity to feel the Spirit. To spend time with Whitley and see that being good can still be fun and that it comes with happiness and freedom. I would like to think it was an inspired idea, but part of me thinks it was just a hairbrained one. Whatever the case, she's here now and we pray that we can help her get back on the right track. She is truly a beautiful girl with so much potential for goodness..now if only she could see it.

1 comment:

Dacia said...

Laurie, you and Glade are awesome! I know that spending time with your family will truly benefit this young girl. She may not show it right away, but deep down, she will remember. It's not harebrained - it's true love. Just the spirit that Heavenly Father wants spread.