Thursday, March 24, 2011

Pioneer Trek 2011

As always, I uploaded all my pictures backwards. This post could be really long, but I will try to keep it readable. This was a reenactment of the old pioneer trek out west. Our ward had 4 families made up of about 10 kids each with a "ma and pa". They weren't allowed to bring anything electronic and only what they could fit in a 5 gallon bucket. They then loaded the handcarts with every one's buckets and other supplies to make the trip.

They started out Thursday morning and hiked a total of 14 miles that day. I went as a cook/Aunt for our ward so I wasn't required to walk, but I wanted to. I wasn't sure if it would work out, needing to cook and all. I was assured there would be a vehicle to pick me up midday so I could get back. I hadn't planned on walking so I was wearing my fuzzy boots. I thought it would be fine, and it was, other than the almost blisters I was working on. I went about 10 miles before the dune buggy came and got me.

I really had the best of both worlds. I only walked if I wanted to, I slept in an RV and could shower whenever I could fit it in. Not to mention I wasn't restricted as to what goodies I could bring. They were only allowed what we provided for them. It was really great getting to know so many new people and of course, spending time with the ones I already loved. The first night it was so windy we had trouble keeping the grills lit so making dinner was a little tricky. Now, cooking for 450 people is tricky all in itself, but this made it really challenging.

After dinner, they took us on a "trail of testimonies" where we listened to "people from the past" tell us their stories of how they found the church and why they loved the Book of Mormon. It would have been really great if we weren't all so tired.

The next day we trekked only about 9 miles. I walked about 6 of those. This day they had activities along the trail for them. One of which was a huge hill to go down. That took a lot of teamwork and faith to get down. Then they had a spot where just the boys pulled and they had bricks and buckets dragging behind them in the sand. This was supposed to represent being weighted down by sin. Then they had a pull for the women. We got to go up a hill, down a hill and back up a hill...a little more trying than what they boys did. The boys were only allowed to walk beside, but not help. It was hard! Lots of us went back and forth helping each cart get up and down so it made it easier.

When they pulled into camp that night, they were setting up tents and found lots of scorpions. The adults tried to keep it from the kids so no one panicked. Not one sting! They also had a hair washing station where you could have someone wash your hair for you. That was quite nice for many. Obviously I'll stick with dirty crunchy hair!

The next morning they loaded up their carts like they were heading out only they didn't do any more pulling. After a yummy breakfast, the kids were treated to all sorts of games and activities. A fun ending to an amazing trip! There was so much learned from this, both physically and spiritually. The kids absolutely loved it and are hoping for another opportunity. I'm so proud of the good attitudes they kept as the temps got to 90 and the miles were long.


Glade playing horseshoes with the Bishop

a tire was found laying around so some genius boys began rolling each other down the hill in it. This happened to be a brave little girl.


Of course, rifle shooting was one of the favs.


Hatchet throwing came in a close second. This is Nick giving it a whirl...literally.


Whitley trying..


Getting up the hill for the women's pull

Velora and I were in the lead yoke going up. I kept tripping on my skirt..yikes!


Waiting to go up the hill

Pioneer boys taking a break


While the boys did their pull, they gathered the girls and talked to them about what kind of boys they should be looking for.

Boys pulling through the sand


This was the hill we had to get down. It was really steep.


Whitley was part of a musical number the first morning.


This is camp the first night. Some set up tents, the others slept under the stars.


Food line. Sometimes we would show up with the food and find out kids were waiting in line for over an hour so they could be first.



Lunch break. Finding refuge from the sun in the shade of the carts.


Some of my best Pioneer friends.... Jake, Jenny, Alicen, Melanie and Robin

1 comment:

Jake and Jenny said...

I love that I am one of your best Pioneer friends! Love you!