Monday, March 14, 2011

The World Today

I thought I should blog a little about what's going on in the world today. I'm awful at watching the news, I used to be a news junkie but I never tune in anymore. If it weren't for FaceBook, I wouldn't know anything. A few days ago, Japan had an 8.9 earthquake hit, then as a ripple effect of that, was hit with devastating Tsunamis. The videos and images are just unreal. When the scriptures talk about whole cities being swallowed up in the earth, they aren't exaggerating. It's hard to sit here in my comfortable home, eating a little snack...enjoying my cute new purse...and imagine what those across the sea are doing at this moment. I know there's not a lot I can actually do, but it still feels awful. Absolutely unbelievable.

Friday, as I was getting my kids out of school early (cuz I'm a nice mom like that) and as we enjoyed some Costco pizza, a mother in a nearby neighborhood was getting the news that her 11 year old had died while at school. He had a heart condition and I guess it was just his time. I was relishing in the "happy familiness" we were experiencing while someone else was just crushed with hers being torn apart. It's one thing when tragedy is far away to people somewhere else, but it's different when it's within walking distance.

Today I paid $3.50 for a gallon of gas. Ouch!! I don't know if it's going to keep going up now that there's so much devastation in Japan or not, but it's never been this high. Tomatoes are scarce due to inclement weather somewhere as well. Food prices are definitely higher than I can remember them being. It's scary to see things coming to pass that we only ever talk about. At the same time, it's comforting to know that "if ye are prepared, ye shall not fear". I'm sure life has it's challenges ahead for us/me, but I'm hoping that all we are doing day in and day out will help us be as prepared as possible to face them with courage and faith. For now, I will be grateful we are doing as well as we are, that we have our health and a comfy place to lay our heads at night. One can never be sure if tomorrow will provide the same things.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Great perspective. I'm so grateful that I too have an understanding God's plan!