Sunday, March 27, 2011

Women!


Why are women the way they are? I guess I've kept myself pretty sheltered by sticking with my close friends and women from church so I haven't experienced a lot else since I've started my family. Being in the play has definitely been an eye opener. The last year or so, I have tried really hard to see the best in people and give them the benefit of the doubt for behavior that maybe wasn't so great. I'm not naturally that way so it's been something I've had to work hard on. Because we practice so often and for so many hours, I'm forced to spend a lot of time with these girls. Some are so sweet and fun, but many are so not.

The whispering and bickering and OH the egos! It's hard to give someone the benefit of the doubt when their behavior is consistently bad. I have had to excuse myself on more than one occasion to take a breather and try to keep myself out of it. I guess that's the worst thing, when you are surrounded by it, it starts to creep into your own being. I don't want to be like that, but when people are complaining to you about others (and lots of times it's totally valid!), it's hard not to jump in and say "I know, right!". I don't want to be the gossiper and the two-faced one. I have tried to spend more time with Whitley and her friends because they are so much better than the grown women. Imagine that...I said I liked teenagers!

Probably the most disappointing thing has been dealing with the other LDS women. There are only a few, but some of the things they have done and said were not appropriate. It makes me sad that they are out there representing the Church that way. I'm not claiming to be perfect, but I sure hope that anyone that knows me, can see the standards of our church. I guess it's nice to be in my shelter and think the world is rosy and people are good. I think this whole week has just made me realize how many people are sad and lonely and lost, it's discouraging. I wish I was better at saving the world!

It's definitely made me think twice about ever doing a play again. I have loved the performance part of it and being with Glade and my kids, but the women.....sheesh.

2 comments:

Dacia said...

You sure have been a positive influence for me! I love you.

Heather said...

Yea! You like teenagers!!!!!! See I knew you would.
I liked this post Laurie, so true and a great reminder. Thx