Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Gym Follies

Ok, last night I went to the gym a little late so I could do a little workout and then go to the hip hop class. I decided to do the elliptical to burn more calories faster since I didn't have a ton of time. As I walked to the one I wanted to be on, there was a burning in my nose. I thought "sheesh!" I got on the machine and started going. The smell was unbearable. I thought surely my nose would get used to it. When it was choking me to breath in, I decided to just breathe through my mouth. Nope, I could taste it. It was a horrible mixture of B.O. and baby powder? Now it's awkward cuz I've been going for a few minutes, but I seriously can't take it anymore. There were three possible offenders, one right next to me. Finally, I just stopped, went three machines down and started again. Ahhhh, fresh air.
Then as I'm going along, I glance over at the very skinny 12 year old girl next to me and she is moving right along - TEXTING the whole time. Are you kidding??? After 30 minutes or so I head to the aerobics room for class. Usually I feel really good about myself at the gym, endorphins raging and all. Then I started moving around in front of a huge mirror. I never feel fatter than when I'm in a class. Are my legs really that stumpy?? Are those my arms flapping around?? Yuck! Guess I better head back up to the treadmill!
The good news, I had heard that cancelling your membership was next to impossible. No phone number, only mail correspondence. I had mailed in a cancellation for my two kids and never heard anything. I decided I should check on it and sure enough, they cancel today. Yippee, one more battle avoided.

3 comments:

Leslie said...

Talk me into joining the gym by my house. I'm a slug!
Les.

Heather said...

If I knew you were doing the hip hop class last night I just might have joined you. I just didn't feel like machines.

Camille said...

I know exactly what you mean about the mirrors. I liked trying the zumba and kick-boxing classes until I saw myself in the mirrors.

Stick with it Laurie. You're doing great and look even better!! It's all worth it. Today, a neighbor who hadn't seen me for a while said, "you look thin." Yeah! A total unsolicited comment. It made me want to try the classes again.