Sunday, August 17, 2008

a good weekend

It's been a pretty good weekend. Saturday I spent most the day at home, except for a short trip to the grocery store to do some wicked ad matching so I could stock up on some three month supply stuff. I love when you save more than you spend! Spent a lot of time trying to help Nick with his States and Capitols so he can pass his test tomorrow. I'm afraid it's a lost cause, but we'll see. Saturday night we had Stake Conference Adult Session so we met some friends for dinner first and then all went together. I love finally having some friends in the ward. There really are great people everywhere you go. The adult session is always my favorite. For a really wonderful rundown, go visit Julia's blog. She did a great job at pulling out the really good stuff. I liked her insight. Actually I'm going to cut and paste hers right into mine! As long as I give her credit it's not plagiarism right??

Stake Relief Society Pres, Sis Winters:

I felt when she was speaking that she was just teaching me. She began by relaying a story of hardships that her daughter had faced, and man she was dealt a hard playing hand. But what she said next was nothing short of inspired. You must decide how you will deal with the trials you are given. Since we are all given trials. They are necessary to grow stronger. Christlike qualities won't be gained another way. She then said that her family decided that they wouldn't refer to trials as hardships any longer, but hard blessings. How appropriate! Pray always. Identify blessings everyday. Teach your children to identify blessings everyday.
She told a short story of picking up her grandson from school one day and asked how his day was. He proceeded to tell her each good thing that had happened to him that day and nothing more. She in turn, asked her daughter why he never mentioned anything negative about his day and her daughter said that when she picks up her children she always asks 'what good thing happened today' for the first few days it took a little thinking, but after that, her children learned to be prepared and think of those things so they would be ready when she asked. What a simple thing we can do for our children and ourselves and it's repercussions will be generationally astounding!
Learn from the past, live in the present, and prepare for the future. It is never necessary to place blame. Grief turns to anger, anger to resentment. When you talk of we/us as a couple or a family unit and what is happening in your life, we/us needs to include Heavenly Father. Look at your hard blessings in a celestial perspective.

President Richardson (Sunday session)

First, I LOVE our stake presidency. They are inspired, intelligent, funny and have something most all other presidencies do not have. A binding friendship. Comradery. They seem to be the best of friends. And you can feel it.
He spoke on doing a million things at once and feeling guilty for not being about to do it all simultaneously. He read off a list of things on any given day a woman/wife/mother would need to do. He asked 'How do you balance these things?' Guilt creeps in. After everything cannot possibly get done. He said so much more, but what I remember is that he specifically talked about the Holy Ghost and that he would never use guilt once the Atonement is enveloped. The Holy Ghost does not use guilt as a tool, Satan does. (If I could underline this next part I would) "Guilt is reserved for sin. NOT as a motivator." It hit me like a ton of bricks. He then began talking about behavior and attitude. He said there is no excuse for bad behavior and bad attitude. You cannot place blame for your own bad behavior and attitude. The Iron rod is covered with hard blessings. But you know it's the path that is watched over by our Heavenly Father.
When Pres Richardson first came to our ward the week before conference, he said that an added blessing of the meeting would be that we may change what we prayed about after hearing the words spoken there. I have.

Amen to everything she just said, thanks Julia.

After conference we all went to ice cream, which is my favorite part! We got home a little late, but at least we could sleep in! Conference today wasn't until 1 pm which is actually kind of stinky. Nap time for me. I was able to keep myself awake and pay attention. The best part was getting to sit next to my hubby and just be close without wrestling with babies (we left them at home). I wish I could think of something that profoundly hit me, but I can't.

Sunday dinner was good, got rid of most of the rest of the clothes. Now I can put my living room back together. Kids are tucked away and I'm right behind them. Hopefully I can have a better week with my commitment goals. I really gotta get that drive back.

2 comments:

Kathy said...

I love the new header since you and Glade are in it too, but I liked the Brady Bunch one too!!

I'm glad to hear it's a mouse in your house instead of a crazy huge spider...that was giving me nightmares! When we first moved into our new house we had a problem with mice in the garage, but Joe took care of it. There was a HUGE mess to clean up after they were dead, and we had to throw some stuff away, but they never freaked me out the way spiders do!!

Lulu said...

Amen to the header comment. Love it. And I am glad my thoughts could help. It was an amazing confrence for me.