Wednesday, December 2, 2009

I think I'm Sane Again

The last two days have been dedicated to cleaning and organizing and trying to find my sanity again. Sunday and Monday night were not very good ones. I wanted to decorate for Christmas, but my family are such pigs that it felt like we were just trying to get things picked up all the time that there wasn't enough time to then do the fun things. Sunday when I got a little freaky, most of the kids were happy to go somewhere else and play, but one sweet child decided to go a little above and beyond to help me out. A little extra work and a few kind words can do wonders. After I calmed down, the two of us put out some decorations, turned on some music and lit my traditional "Christmas candle". It turned out to be a nice night, but it sure didn't start that way.

Monday, we had FHE doing some laundry while watching a Christmas movie and then made some cookies. It was all going well until I went upstairs to finish hanging the stockings. Unbelievable what they consider cleaning. Not to mention the blatant lying about what had been done. Again, a little freaky. I stayed in one bedroom for an hour sweeping out under beds and in the closet. What a mess! We got it under control and I again begged them to not let it get like that again. So on Tuesday morning, I committed to just work hard on the rest of the house to get Christmas put away, laundry done and put away and all the little things cleared out. That took a lot of discipline! I feel much better now though.

Last night I decided to run to my mom's house and then to return a few things. I scored! I took something back that I paid $5.99 x2 for and they refunded me $7.99 x2. I pointed this out and she said she noticed that, but didn't care. I told her I felt like I was stealing from them and she just smiled and said not to worry about it. I made almost $5 on the deal! Then I went to spend my Kohls cash I earned the day after Thanksgiving. (like how I said earned) I had already picked out a pair of shoes I wanted to get. They were $26 and I had $20 in Kohls cash. Well, when I got there, they had been marked down on clearance to $14. The only problem was that there were no shoes like that actually out in boxes. I went to ask the lady to check another store and it turns out they had more in the back and I got what I wanted! Since I hadn't even spent my $20 yet, I decided to get a necklace as well. Total cost to me $2.19. Really even free if you consider I just made $5 at the other store. Always ask!!!

Lastly, this morning while taking my kids to school, we witnessed a tragic accident. While Nick was putting his bike in the car, he heard a lot of screaming. When we got to the end of our road, we saw that two little girls had been hit by a car. The bus stop is right there and they crossed right in front of a moving mini van. So sad. I was just sick for them. The good news is that their injuries are not life threatening and they will be ok. I just can't imagine all the sorrow and worry that family endured today. Sure made messy rooms not look that important.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Well rats. As I started to read your post I had my "Amen, sister" comment all formed in my head about my kids being pigs and how in the world are we supposed to bring boxes of Christmas decorations into the mess we live in.....
Perspective is a wonderful thing. Thanks for reminding me what's really important. (Even if the ones I love are pigs.)