Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Let me Clarify

Ok, so the feedback that I'm getting is that everyone likes to buy nice things once in awhile. If I made it seem like I don't, I totally misled you. There are definitely things I spend money on, my perfume for example - not cheap! I also buy mostly name brand stuff for cleaning and showering stuff. I think there's something to be said for quality. The point I was trying to make about the backpack really applied to the backpack. An 8 yr old child does not or should not know the difference in a Roxy or Walmart brand backpack. Not to mention the way an 8 yr old treats a backpack. All I'm saying is to spend that kind of money on something a child doesn't REALLY care about is a waste. I love nice things, a little too much even, but it bugs me to see 3 yr olds in converse shoes. (unless you got them at the thrift store!) That is strictly for the parents and I personally feel it's vain and worldly to spend that much money needlessly. I'm sure I have totally offended someone but please take it with a grain of salt. I'm not and never have been much of a name brand person. Again, I do believe some brands are better than others and worth the price. I would like to believe that if I had oodles of money, I would still shop sensibly. Who knows. Summary: I think it's unnecessary to spend that much money on a backpack for a child - That's all I was saying!

7 comments:

Heather said...

you just tick me off!!!

ok just kidding. :) I agree with you except the perfum part. But you always smell nice so it works for you. I am going to break down soon and by myself a really expensive pair of jeans. I like you can't do it for my kids because I know they will never appreciate it. Me, I can appreciate it!

Kathy said...

Joe used to joke that I could go out and buy ten outfits and spend $2.50, and that's because I stopped at Taco Bell on the way home...he hasn't said that lately though. I just don't spend the time to get the great deals like I used to. I totally agree with everything you said though!

Lulu said...

Ok, you are hilarious. It is so unlike you to have to defend you position. Cheap or squandering, we love you just the same Laurie!!

Camille said...

Oh my goodness. I was totally not offended by your last post--and ummm, I don't think anyone could be. I thought the whole story was hilarious--really and truly funny--and it probably seemed funnier to me because I had JUST BEEN in Tilly's like the day before. I'm kind of laughing even right now. But I have to agree, I hate how the "brand name" thing starts younger and younger. I'm just glad my 10 year old is still willing to wear all his brothers' hand me downs and be happy with one new outfit(or two if I got the first one really cheap). Laurie, you're great!

gena said...

Totally agree!! Although I have to start buying better quality shoes for my boys especially Brydon cuz he tears them up way too fast. Sometimes price reflects quality and that's when it's more important to shop sales:)

Tairi said...

You are too funny! It was fun to see you guys at Applebees a couple of weeks ago. Then I saw Glade at the temple. Two times in one week?? Crazy. I am so glad for blogging because I feel like I know you so much better and I havent even seen you in forever! You look great I must add!

I am not at all offended by your post, but I have to say I love my boys in their converse shoes!

gena said...

Laurie, just remembered Rhett has the scripture on sunday. His teacher is suppose to remind him, but in case he doesn't:)