Thursday, October 14, 2010

Slip and Slide

I didn't take any pictures, BUT...what a fun hike today. We, us, mom and the Johnsons, drove to Payson to hike the Natural Bridge today. We thought we were taking the nice dirt path with stairs path down, but it turned out that we took the boulder climbing route. It was rough and a little scary in some places. The kids loved it! A half mile of maneuvering over and around rocks and boulders. The fun really got going once we got under the actual bridge. Jake has pictures, I'll have to snag one of his, but for now...



The spot in the upper LEFT, right where the waterfall stops is the rock we had to slide down. It was a little scary. If you veered off, over the boulder and into the water. It was going mostly well with Glade catching kids at the bottom and setting them onto safe ground. Then mom went. She lost her balance and I seriously thought she was going to somersault over the side. She made it Ok, but not without a little hip stress. Then it was Katy's turn so I decided it would be safer for me to slide with her. What I didn't think about was that now I had no hands to guide or slow me down with. We went a little fast and about took Glade out and sent him over. Once he got Katy, I couldn't stop sliding. I slid right into Mom so her leg was trapped between my legs so I was pulling her with me. We were both giggling so hard and yet wanting to stop sliding. Tears I tell ya! Then it was poor Jenny's turn who does NOT like heights. After seeing what we just all did, she was not happy about this turn of events. She made it down and was a little shaky, but what a scary, fun, memorable few minutes!

We hiked back up the nice trail and had donuts at the top. Katy even made it all the way up by herself. No small feat, we were all huffing and puffing from the stair climb out. If my calves aren't sore tomorrow, I'll be shocked!

Speaking of which. I ran 5 miles today and beat my current 5k fastest time by 30 seconds. Nice. I need to get my endurance up, but all with due time. Now the kids have play practice so I will enjoy a fairly quiet night at home resting. One more day of fall break and it's a cleaning day!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my! Taking out your poor mom? After all she has done for you? It sounds like a great time, and yes, put up the pictures! Poor Jenny.

Tammy said...

Wow, what a wild ride. I'm glad you all made it back in one piece!

Tairi said...

How Scary! I know the exact path you guys took, we took the boulder one last year on accident too! I did the whole thing in flip flops and carried a baby! Once we got to the bridge there was a forest ranger guy that told us we couldnt cross the rocks to get to the other side with a baby, so we had to go out the way we came! Ugh. Glad you made it home safe! I like the new family pic on the blog