Thursday, July 2, 2009

Florida - while there

We got to Florida late... sheesh, I don't know what day. Anyway, the truck was still acting up so we decided to try to get it fixed while there. It was going to take a day or so, so we had to find other things to do while we were there. We had always intended on going to the beach, but now we were throwing in Busch Gardens and a neighboring waterpark, Adventure Island. We discussed Disney World, but we could do both of the other parks for less than the one. Every morning seemed to get started rather late. With getting in so late and then trying to deal with the truck and getting the "Thing"s (type of car we were there to pick up), time just pittered away. We got everyone around to sit and wait. The beach was very windy and cloudy, which was actually kind of nice. Since the water was so warm, it was nice to not have the sun beating down on you. With all the trouble with the truck, we ended up being in Florida for 4 nights.









When we first got to the beach, all the kids just went and sat along the edge of the water together. I thought that was really sweet. Of course we lost Dalin very first thing. He had wandered down the beach quite a ways and was nonchalantly looking for us. More to come on that note! The big kids went straight out as far as they could to play in the water which of course, makes me nervous. Rhett came right back in and said "Stephen's out too far!" Nick has never been a fan of water so he pretty much stayed up on the beach looking for shells with the little ones.



Bo of course went right to karate chopping the waves. He has always loved the water and we had a hard time getting him to come back in.

It took Katy a while, but eventually she loved it almost as much as Bo. She was really happy to be on the beach playing in the sand. She mostly only made trips into the water to fill up her water bucket.


Stephen all alone, way too far out. He never cares if anyone wants to do what he wants, he just does it anyway. Eventually Whitley and Derrick went out. I think Nick even ventured out for a little while near the end.



Poor Nick is totally blind without his glasses. He found a few snails still in their shells and tons of different kinds of shells. He had to hold them up to within inches of his eyes to even see them though. I felt really bad for him.

Rhett can be really sweet when he wants to be. He was helping Katy battle the waves. She always had more fun when someone was helping her "jump" the waves.



Dalin spent quite a bit of time up in the sand building castles. They started out very small and simple and as the day went on, they got a little more creative and grandiose.

This is one of my favorite pictures. Whitley spent a good part of the day right on the edge of the water playing with Katy. She was very tolerant of Katy pouring water right on her head!


Bo filled his bucket with shells. I had to keep a close eye on him because he would just walk and walk and never look back.


Daddy took Katy out to try to get the sand out of her suit. Didn't help much, but she enjoyed the time out with him.


This is Katy letting us know that she had sand in her bum. Not too far into the day, she got really irritated with it and was constantly tugging. Eventually I guess she just got used to it. Cute though.

Whitley had let herself sink in the sand as the water would come up to her, creating a little chair for herself. You can see Katy is wondering what the heck she is doing (while still tugging).



Nick inspecting his finds. Poor thing.




We had to do the traditional "bury Dad". When we mentioned it, Bo got a little weary. He wasn't sure how that was going to happen and if Dad would be ok.


We were able to talk Bo and Katy into letting us bury them, but they didn't like it too much. They could barely stay still for me to take a picture before they had to bust out.



The day after the beach, we went to Busch Gardens. It was actually a really fun place. They had quite a zoo mixed in with the amusement park. It was stinking hot and humid though. We were just wet all day. Luckily they had several air conditioned little eating places and were really good about having fans placed in the waiting lines.


Nick is so good with helping with the little ones. He is helping Katy see the snakes.


This is Katy happily riding the Carousel. She loved it. That is until she fell off. I have no idea what happened. I was standing right next to her and next thing I know, she was face first on the ground on the other side of the horse. She wacked her eye really good and was screaming. I felt so bad. A little embarrassed as well since the instructions were just spoken about holding on to your child. This was only about 10 minutes after we got there. She was already tired and now she just wanted to go to sleep. Of course, I was worried about brain damage so I wouldn't let her go to sleep. What a miserable start for her.


This is her in the stroller protesting anything we would say to her. She didn't go to sleep for a few hours and was fine other that the huge bruise and knot by her eye.


Brooklyn and Dalin on the scrambler type thing. The 4 big kids went off on their own and Glade and I went with all the little ones. Hence, I have no pictures of the bigger kids at the park. Kind of a bummer.



This was the coolest part of the whole day. There was a section of the park for little kids. It had like a three story tree house they could play in. In the middle were tigers. The only thing between you and them was a piece of glass. This tiger came right up to our window and looked me straight in the eye. It was a little creepy. All the kids were sitting along the window watching it and when it got up and went over to the corner where Dalin was sitting, Dalin high tailed it out of there. It was really funny.





This ride was geared for the littler kids, but it is the one that takes you up, then drops you, then up again and dropping again. Bo loved it! I thought he would be really scared, but he wasn't. They also had little swings on zip lines that the bigger kids could ride out over the tree house.




I was lucky enough to not go on the log ride. Katy had just fallen asleep for the first time and the line was really long. Glade took the other kids while I sat in the shade and let Katy get a nap.




They had a little spot for hoola hooping with a DJ playing fun music. Can I just say, Dalin rocks!! That kid can hoola hoop and looks awesome doing it. Serious booty action. I wish I would have video'd it on my phone, but I didn't think about it. Bo and Katy of course, were too little, but they tried hard. Glade has some serious moves too. I was very impressed!









The roller coasters were the main attraction obviously. Poor Dalin was less than an inch too short to ride all the good ones. We had a little bit of tears about that, but he got over it. There was one called the Montu pictured below. This was my favorite. It was also the last one we rode on before the park closed. Instead of being in a car, your seat hangs. It's a much less intense feeling going down the hills, but totally fun! I would have ridden it 20 times.


This one is called the Sheikra. It goes straight down. I wouldn't even go near it. Glade made Whitley go on it with him and she cried the whole way. Sobbing type of crying. Even 10 minutes after she got off, she was still crying. Brooklyn and the other kids loved it. After I found the Montu, I insisted she try it. She dripped tears the whole way walking up, but loved it once she got on.


For meals, Glade and I had gotten wristbands that let you eat whenever you wanted. They said no sharing, but of course we did. I would feel bad about it if we hadn't have paid $60 for them. The big kids spent $40 for their lunch so I think we paid our fair amount. It was nice cuz every time we went in for a drink, we also got a cup of grapes or other fruit or some little snack to give the kids.
On the way out of the park, the little ones had been in playing in a sandy area and needed cleaning, so we went into the bathroom to wash. At some point, Dalin came out and didn't see us, which is weird, so he took off. When we realized he wasn't with us, we split up according to cell phones and started looking for him. We weren't far when Glade thought to ask a shop keeper about him. The guy pointed over to little Dalin crouched in a corner crying. When he came out, he was crying and saying that we "ditched" him. I just hugged him a long time and told him we would never. Explained all the stuff about staying put. At least he went and told someone responsible. Perfect ending to an exhausting day. Oh wait, the perfect ending would be the wind chimes I bought. I love wooden ones and these sound so pretty.
Adventure Island
The next day we went to the waterpark. I have no pictures to prove it, but we did. I always take my camera, worry all day that it's going to get stolen and never take it out for fear of it getting too wet. Smart. Anyway, it was a fun day. The kids pretty much went off on their own, including Bo and Glade. Katy fell asleep not too far into the day and she didn't like anything but the wave pool anyway. Bo loved the slides, so that's where he and Glade spent their time. Nothing too exciting happened while there, but....on the way out.....no Dalin. Third time!! He was with us on the bench right outside of the bathrooms, right in front of the exit. After everyone changed, we gathered everyone and headed out. We get to the car and no Dalin. It was almost funny. Both days we keep everyone right up until we were leaving and then we lose Dalin. Glade headed back in to look for him and not a minute later I saw him wandering around the parking lot. I yelled for him and he came running. Not scared this time, but I was so frustrated with him!
Naked in the hall
The whole time we were at the parks, Glade's parents went around trying to get the Things and a trailor to tow them and get truck parts, etc. After the water park, we went back to the hotel, and showered everyone. I put Dalin and Bo into the shower and took Katy up the elevator with me to the washroom so I could wash all the wet towels and suits. I came down and walked off the elevator (which was in the lobby) to see my very naked 8 year old standing outside our room. (which was the first one off the lobby) You can imagine my surprise. I asked what he was doing in a not so calm way, and wrapped the ONE towel that didn't fit into the washer around him. Lucky for him! He said he was going out to the car to get some underwear. ???? Not only was he naked out there, but he had locked us out of our room. Bo was still in the shower and couldn't hear us banging on the door. I had to explain to the front desk and get new keys. When we got into the room, Bo was in the shower yelling "I can't turn off the water!" Had no idea he was alone. Dalin helped him turn it off. I went in there and the whole floor was flooded! Not just a little water, flooded. They didn't put the shower curtain inside the tub! I was about to lose it...no...I did lose it! Three days out in the humid heat with wet clothes and tired children and I did not have anything left. Finally Glade got back with the cold pizza, we ate and went to bed. It was funny later, but not at the time. I was very proud of myself. Three days in the sun and not one sunburn. I rock! The kids would be annoyed everyday when I came around with the sunscreen, but I just kept telling them "you'll thank me tonight when it doesn't hurt to lay in bed!"

2 comments:

Heather said...

are you sure you went? I didn't see one picture of you.

Tammy said...

What fun pictures. I'm glad you guys had such a fun time!