Monday, June 8, 2009

I'm going to be honest...

I know this is a terrible and taboo thing to say, but... I hate Sundays. I LOVE church and I love having family together, but the rest of the day just plain sucks and I'm not sure how to change it. I know how to occupy myself in a good way on Sunday and my big kids have figured it out pretty much, but my middle kids are awful! I have tried projects, giving them books or "assignments", but it's very short lived and then the chaos resumes. My babies hardly get naps because it's so noisy and out of control. Of course, that means I don't get a nap either, but I could deal with that. Babies that don't nap isn't good for anyone! On a normal day, there are things to do...TV, computers, friends, etc. With none of that on Sunday, it's like they are lost. They never behave worse than on Sunday after church. It's very frustrating to enjoy church and feel committed to doing better and making good changes and then to come home and be angry the rest the day. HELP!!! I don't want to give in to TV, but sometimes, I have to admit...it's tempting. Don't be mad if you suggest something and I say I've already tried that, I really have tried a lot of things. I just wonder if this is normal or is there some secret I'm missing out on to a peaceful Sabbath day.

5 comments:

Tairi said...

sorry! Sundays are just about the only day we take naps. My friends and I put together a craft swap, so I have a huge basket full of fun crafts for them to do ready and on hand. Sundays are when they do most of them. I actually have two baskets left over........they each have 24 crafts in them if you are interested.

Unknown said...

Funny, we just had something like this happen yesterday at the BARZ home.

In thinking more about it I mentioned to the MRS. that perhaps if the kids struggle with no TV/games/friends SO MUCH on Sunday then they need less of it the rest of the week. It's like a caffeine headache. They just have to cut back. No decision yet but we'll see.

I know, I'm a mean dad. I'm good with that though.;-)

Krista Darrach said...

NO help from me on this subject. I lost the battle years ago..it's hard when you're the only one in the family who wants to "keep" the sabbath day holy.
Good luck - you're doing an awesome job - it will pass....before you know it they will all be gone and raising families of their own.

Unknown said...

I really don't have a suggestion either. We watch tv - but we limit it to like nature shows and stuff like that. We also go on walks or take the kids for a drive.

Leslie said...

Sounds like you gotta keep trying until you get it right. (See my blog post for today.)

P.S. We don't do so great on Sunday either.