Saturday, June 6, 2009

How dare she...


All good things must come to an end. I say "good" sarcastically. Today I got a phone call from the woman who Whitley was babysitting for. She wanted to let me know that she was uncomfortable having Whitley there and would no longer be using her. I was shocked, of course. I asked her what happened and this is what this crazy lady said to me:


First, the second day she went, she didn't call first to let the girl know she was there. The 11 yr old is never allowed to answer the door. The mom had asked us to call the day before, but the circumstances were different. We thought the mom was still there so we didn't think we needed to. This was unacceptable to her.


Second, I guess there was some cleaning issue, which didn't surprise me because Whitley is a bit of a tornado. But...that wasn't the problem. According to the girl, Whitley made her do all the work. Not true.


Lastly, and most ridiculously...when they went swimming, their 4 dogs joined in. Apparently Whitley pushed one of the dogs underwater and made a comment that their dogs were "boring". This statement and abuse of her dogs very much upset the girl and disturbed the mother. Their dogs are their family and for Whitley to make a comment like that was very hurtful and she no longer felt comfortable having Whitley in her home. Seriously??? Whitley said she never even said that and I believe her. She has always been an animal lover and why would anyone call dogs boring? Not to mention...we have Jack! Any dog who moved would be exciting to us!!


The bottom line, the girl is a liar and Whitley is not the first babysitter she has gotten fired. We know this because she told us the problems she has had with previous ones. Maybe this should have been a red flag to us. The interview was weird anyway. The girl is 11, they have their own pool...when I asked the mom if I could take them to the public pool sometimes, she said as long as I watched her the "whole" time. She said it three times. The "whole" time. I made a decision that day that I would never be taking them. I even told Whitley when we left that very first day that I had a feeling that girl would be a little sneaky and demanding. The mom had also mentioned that she had reservations about Whitley from the very beginning. I'm seriously not just being a mom here, but c'mon...Whitley exudes sweetness. Other than it throwing a wrench in her cell phone plans, I'm glad to have her out of there. It's tempting to call and let her know that her child was making things up, but really, what good would that do? It still hurts to think this family out there thinks these things of my daughter. We know the truth and I feel a little sorry for this mom who is being duped by her 11 yr old. I'm guessing she might be tired of having a babysitter period. Don't most 11 yr olds babysit for other people? Wonder what's going to be wrong with the next "companion"??
On a side and scary note - today we were loading up to go clean our rental and things were a little crazy. Phone calls and organization, finding supplies, etc. Anyway, Glade went out to the garage for something and found Katy asleep in the car. Some how she had gotten in the car and then couldn't get out. You could tell she had been crying and had wet her pants. She eventually fell asleep. Glade woke her up and she immediately started screaming again. It was very scary. Luckily, it was morning and the car was in the garage, so it wasn't really hot. She was barely sweating, but the possibilities..... I'm guessing maybe 20 - 25 minutes out there. She was really upset and I was really sick to my stomach.

7 comments:

Heather said...

Can you say CRAZY! Over protective parent. Whitley is good to be out of there. Yikes.

So scary for Katy, that would have been horrible if it was in the middle of the day. Kids are sneaky. Jess did that when we moved her when she was 7, I heard her in the trunk of the car locked inside. so scary.

Lulu said...

Sounds like you guys got off the crazy bus just in time!

Unknown said...

Whitley was one of the best babysitters we ever had!! My kids loved having her babysit. I think you should call the mom and tell her that her daughter is lying. It probably wouldn't do any good, but maybe when this mom is picking up her delinquent teenager from the police station years from now she'll remember that she was warned.

So scary about Katy. My kids have done that too. Scary!!

Anonymous said...

If I had little kids, Whitley would be top of my list!
I'm so glad Glade found Katy. That is so scary. Dacia

Camille said...

What a scary experience with Katy. So glad you found her. My heart is pounding so hard.

Plus, you are a better person than I am. I would definately want to call the mom and tell her what's up. (and I probably would)

Krista Darrach said...

People are interesting aren't they? I always say, "We just don't know what people have gone through to make them do the things they do(and stay comfortable with themselves)." But geesh I sure wonder.
You did the right thing, leaving it be. That woman sounds crazy, you know the truth.

Poor Katy! Wow...thank goodness Glade found her! That is scary!!!

Kathy said...

I had a "babysitting" job like that once. The girl was also 11. Very weird! She was adopted and VERY spoiled by this really old couple who always came home drunk...I wonder where she is now.