Sunday, December 4, 2011

Turkey Trot 2011

As per tradition, we awoke early Thanksgiving day and headed out for the annual 10k Turkey Trot.  We have come to make it a family event where everyone runs something.  Even Mom walked the whole 10k with us.  Bo, Katy and Chelsey all did the 2 mile this year.  The rest did the whole 6.2 miles.  Aside from Stephen who is still injured from his fall at the Grand Canyon.  Did I ever blog about that?  Anyway, he stayed and watched the little ones at the park while the rest of us ran. 

It was a beautiful day for running!  Only slightly chilly with total cloud cover.  You can't know what having no sunshine does for me.  I hadn't prepared as much as I had wanted, so I wasn't looking for my best time this year.  I did however, want to beat Glade.  Ongoing competitiveness.  I know.  Anyway, Mom and I got stuck in the line for the bathroom so we didn't start the race until everyone had already taken off.  I found I actually like that.  Instead of people passing me, I was doing all of the passing.  I'm pretty sure I passed over a thousand people. I say that because I did better than about 1300 people in the race and since I started last, that only makes sense!  I ran the best I could, I really did.  I couldn't have pushed much harder.  I kept telling myself that it's only temporary, it's just one race.  You can do it!!  I came in at 1:01:30.  I was really happy with that, I thought I could do at least an hour and four minutes so this was good.  Now, to find out how Glade did.  I knew it would be close, but only 22 seconds apart?  Seriously?  I had to admit defeat.  Just one less drink of water, maybe a little more sprint at the end.  You can find a lot of things that would have made you 22 seconds faster!

The only real killer thing here was that Dalin beat Glade by 11 seconds.  Awesome!  He had been on the treadmill regularly training.  I was really proud of him.  The best part of the whole day is watching all your friends and family cross the finish line or to see them cheering for you as you finish.  It's become one of our favorite things to do and a big part of that is how many of our friends bring their families as well.  It really is a perfect was to start the day!





Dalin, Rhett, Nick and our good friend Jake.

 
Chelsey, Bo and Katy waiting to start the two mile

Our Family times:

Rhett      47:40  he beat the turkey on the home stretch
Nick      57:48  Not bad for a kid  who spent no time training
Dalin    1:00:57  PR
Glade   1:01: 08  PR
Laurie  1:01:30
Whitley 1:12:23  PR
Mom    1:27:32
Brooklyn 1:30:21  beat her time by several minutes of last year

1 comment:

Heather said...

that is such a great tradition. I think it is so great that your little ones are even doing it.