Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Christmas Eve 2011

I took a seriously low key approach to many things pertaining to Christmas this year and today was no different.  I spent the morning with Whitley doing a little last minute shopping and going to pick up all the gifts from my mom's house.  Took a nap and everything.  We cleaned and got things around for dinner, but I didn't even make everyone get all nice looking or anything.  Unfortunately my potatoes didn't cook enough and the kids didn't like the store bought rolls we had.  So, the dinner kinda sucked. 

I had planned on watching the Christmas Devotional together but the DVR is only in my room so we did jammies and ornaments first before we all jumped in my bed to watch.  Every one's jammies worked but Stephen's and I was able to get all their pictures printed and into their ornaments without too much trouble. 

They were really restless watching the devotional, we only did part because of the whining.  I guess it's just really hard to sit for an hour when you know Santa is getting close.  I guess I should just stick with a book.  After we let them off the hook with the devotional, the jumped right back on the computer to find out where Santa was via the Santatracker.  Some watched Arthur's Perfect Christmas, which is tradition and some helped Glade wrap my presents.  That left me stuck in my room for a while so I did paperwork. 

Of course they were all more than willing to go to bed, not to mention it was 9 already so that's normal bedtime.  We were done getting things ready by about 10:15.  They get up by 5 am so we needed to get our rest!  The night didn't go as I envisioned, but I don't think anyone will really remember the bad rolls or long devotional, but they will remember our traditions and the way they felt on that night.  I'm always a little sad on Christmas Eve to know that it's now over.  Another year gone by and Christmas 366 days away again.  It's not the day I love, it's the build up to the day.  Don't get me wrong, the day is great.. but it's the season that's the best!






No comments: