Saturday, December 24, 2011

Temple Lights

Hmmmm, to tell the truth or to not??  This was the worst activity we have done this season.  That's the truth.  It reminded me why I didn't make a special effort to do it last year.  It's a little bit of a drive to the temple and the kids were awful in the car on the way there.  So much fighting over nothing.  AND they're too big for me to remind them that Santa is watching!

Once we got there, we gathered, made a plan and headed out to see the lights.  For starters, no one listens when I tell them to dress warmly.  Well, Rhett who brought the snow parka cuz he lost his expensive sweatshirt I just bought him this year... he was warm.  It started to rain as soon as we got there and everyone was freezing.  Little Bo only had on a tshirt and a really light jacket.  We were meeting some friends so we went inside to wait out the drizzle and to try and locate them. 

It didn't take long for the rain to stop, it is Arizona after all, and we found our friends so we trekked out to see all the wonder of the lights.  At least that's what I did.  The rest of the children just wanted to see how fast they could get to the next stop.  They climbed, jumped, twirled, slid down a wheelchair ramp, and were way too loud.  I thought I was going to lose my mind.  It's always crowded this time of year but luckily for us, it had thinned out a little because of the weather.  Obviously I have not taught my children well enough, but I never thought I had to say the words "it's not appropriate to baseball slide down a wheelchair ramp".  Who does that?? 

Once we made a seriously fast loop around the grounds with very little looking at lights, I told Glade "we need to vacate the premises!"  He brought donuts and our friends family brought hot chocolate so we went to the parking lot for a treat.  That was better,  at least they were somewhat contained.  I will say that I love our friends!  That part was good.

On the way home, the fighting started again.. this time about stinky feet and if you cared about your family you would put your shoes back on.  I turned up the music and decided I was just not going to listen.  Finally, I could take no more so I turned the music down and yelled "you are ruining Christmas!!  There will be no more talking unless you are telling someone you love them!!  Nothing, No. More.!"  Then Katy says in her sweet little voice.  "Nothing.  No. More."  Thanks for having my back Katy.  The kids giggled and the tension was gone and we then drove home in peace. 









No comments: