Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Bettin on Horses

I saw a clip on Disney Channel about a boy being raised by a single mom and they were worried about where he was headed.  She sent him to work on his uncles Ranch and instead of just being a farm hand, he learned to ride and do some roping.  It was a positive change for his life and gave him something to focus on and to have a passion for.  It occurred to me that we have several available "ranches" where I live and maybe this would be something that was good for my son.  I hadn't given it a lot of thought past that until we were at our Ward party and he sat for a long time just holding a lamb.  While watching him, it also happened to be that the girl I serve with in YW was standing right by me and she and her husband do Rodeos for a living.  They also live about a quarter mile from me.  All the ducks seemed to swim right into line!

I mentioned to them about what I had seen and what my idea was and asked if they had anything they could offer for him.  They both seemed very willing to let him come help take care of their horses and to let him learn to rope a little.  When I mentioned it to my son, he was as excited as he ever gets.  Which isn't very, but he didn't oppose at all.  I think he will be really great at it!  They said they could start working with him right after Christmas, perfect!

I also happen to visit teach this same gal and while I was there talking with her yesterday, she told me that her husband had said that he felt a really strong impression to help and be involved with this boy while we were talking that day.  That made me so happy!  I was afraid they might see it as me pawning off my at risk teenager to them.  I know there's a lot of research out there about the healing power of horses, I'm just hoping it will work here as well.  He is really a good boy with so much potential, but just no drive to get anything accomplished.  He loves animals and he's so good athletically that I think this is the perfect thing to give him "something".  This would be the only time you would ever here me say "I can't wait till Christmas is over!"

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Talk about the stars aligning, or divine intervention or whatever...it's just awesome. I hope it works!