Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Good to the End

Yesterday was one of those days that pretty much started good and only continued to get better as the day went on. 

Visiting Teaching
I had made VTing appointments for the morning so that's where my day started.  Sometimes it's just like making a big check mark when you're done "OK, that's done."  But this day it was like I felt like each visit had a purpose and that THIS is what visiting teaching is about. 

Running
While I was VTing, my good friend Jenny texted me and asked if I wanted to go running.  I have only run twice, sprints on the treadmill, since  Thanksgiving.  Bad, I know.  Once I was finished with my sisters, I changed and we headed out for a run.  The weather was beautiful and the run was... well, it was a run.  We only made it 2.5 miles and they were a little slow, but hey... I RAN!  She committed me to Wed and Fri of this week as well.  Thanks Jenny!  I needed that.

The Package
That afternoon, a very special arrival came in the mail.  A package from my Dad and Step Mom.  Holy. Wow.  They sent me a beautiful, and I'm not just using that word for fun... beautiful bracelet for Christmas.  It's absolutely gorgeous.  I can't exactly describe it, but it contains my birthstone, a little inscription of "daughter" and lots of other sparkly things.  Along with that came their check they send every year for the kids for Christmas.  That was a great relief because finances are so tight this time of year and since my next paycheck comes only 2 days before Christmas, this was great timing.

Concert
The elementary kids had their Christmas concert that night.  Bo and Dalin got all dressed in their Sunday best, including their Christmas ties, and we headed out.  These are my favorite concerts.  Cute and fun and short and totally filled with nothing but warm familiar Christmas music.  After, we went to pizza with Mom, and the other couple of kids who wanted to go watch.

Service
While getting pizza, I got a text from Kelsee, my horse friend, saying they needed Nick last minute to go feed their horses.  Yeah!!  We went home, grabbed him and headed over.  It was dark and cold so we didn't spend a lot of time with them, but he got to have his first experience with them and know that they actually trust him and are going to count on him.  Awesome.

Giving
When we got home, we had a family meeting.  Normally we do a service for some family close by that could use a little help for Christmas.  This year time has flown by and unfortunately, I haven't spent the time I should have figuring it all out.  I called our Ward Mission leader to see if he knew of anyone and he gave me the name of an older gentleman who is having a hard time.  He is in his 60's and takes care of his elderly stepfather.  He has had bad health and not able to work much so they are not doing well financially.  After checking with his neighbor, she assured me that cash would go along way for them and that it wouldn't be used for inappropriate things (drugs, alcohol, etc).  She said he had just mentioned to her that he could really use a miracle right now.  I presented this idea to the kids and suggested we all give a little of the money that was allotted to us from Grandma and Grandpa Whitley to him.  They were all very willing so we made a plate of treats, added a cute Teddy Bear, and made a card to put all the money in.  Chelsey decided we could use a little more money in there so she added what cash she had in her wallet, which wasn't just a tiny bit.  I was so proud of all my kids, they didn't even flinch at the idea.  We drove to his house and speedy Nick took it to his doorstep, rang the bell and ran for cover.  How great would it be to be able to witness the reaction when he found his little package.  But we can't, so we drove aways discussing how he might be feeling knowing someone was thinking of him and loved him enough to give to him. 

Today felt like Christmas.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

What a full, happy day!