Sunday, December 4, 2011

I have a testimony of .... lugies?

In our church, the first Sunday of the month is what we call Fast and Testimony week.  We each fast for whatever reasons we choose and then for sacrament meeting, we share testimonies with each other.  Anyone is allowed to come to the stand and share the feelings of their heart in regards to the Gospel.  Today was that day.  My kids love to get up and bear their testimonies.  After a few too many "rote" testimonies, we told them that unless they actually had something they wanted to share, they needed to let the time be left for others.  Today Dalin asked if he could go up.  I always cringe just slightly because you just never know what will come out.

Dalin is probably my most nerve inducing.  He likes to think outside the box and say things that he has learned somewhere along the line.  Most of the time, he is accurate in what he "knows to be true" but other times, you shake your head a little and think "oh my.."  So when he stood today, I sat on the edge of my seat waiting to see how it would go.  This is how it went:

Dalin steps to the microphone, leans in close and says "Hi, my name is Dalin Smith... pause...*then it happened*  he intended to clear his throat and what came out instead was a big hacking, nasty sounding noise, full with tongue out and everything, right into the microphone.  Oh sheesh....  He then says "sorry" with a slight smile and begins his testimony.  It was very short and very simple... "I know that if we hold to the iron rod.. *pause..lip tremble.. eyes well up.. look to mom for support... voice shaky...* we can have eternal life"  He then wiped his tears, ended his testimony and came to sit with his now crying mother who could only give him a long squeeze of the hand to let him know how proud I was of him.  Lugie and all.