Sunday, May 1, 2011

Taking the Fall

I guess it happens to everyone at some point. You know...when you fall from the pedestal you weren't even aware you were standing on. Kinda sucks. I was trying to retell a funny story to some people and in the story the lady says "Who in the H*LL ever thought that was a good idea?!" I actually said the word, albeit quietly, but Stephen was right there and he was mortified. I brushed off his reprimand and continued the conversation I was having. A little later, while loading up in the van to leave, I find Stephen crying. What the heck? He proceeded to tell me how disappointed he was to hear me say that. That I have always said swearing isn't funny and yet I said it in a funny story. I was a hypocrite.

I honestly felt really bad, you can't take stuff like that back. I apologized that I didn't use better judgment but the damage had already been done. I was actually a little irritated by the whole thing because I really don't swear. I don't even swear in my head! So now I had a bad rap for something I don't even do. Except I did. So...lesson learned. There are no exceptions. If we don't swear, we don't swear. I'm sure he's forgiven me, but it doesn't change his slightly tinged view of his mother he has now. Hopefully he learned a lesson as well, even parents make mistakes and have room for improvement.

No comments: