Tuesday, May 3, 2011

May 2 aka Cinco de Mayo

In an effort to expand our cultural horizons, we decided to celebrate Cinco de Mayo for FHE. I know, it's only May 2nd, but Thursday isn't really a good day for this. We had grand ideas of a Mexican fiesta...tacos, salsa, chicken enchiladas, pinatas, candy...the whole nine yards. I dream bigger than I do. We did have tacos and even made salsa, but that's about as far as that went. I never got around to finding a pinata so I was going to put the "questions" (part of the FHE game) into balloons and have them pop the balloons instead of breaking a pinata. Well...I forgot to buy the balloons. I went to the store and everything! Plan C..hmmm...what is plan C? Stephen and Whitley had created three questions for each family member to answer in order to get their candy. Not very fun to just sit around and answer questions. I'm sure this is a long forgotten tradition in Mexico: throw a penny into a shallow bowl and get it to stay in. Yep, I'm sure I read that somewhere. So that's what we did, once you got a penny to stay in the bowl, you got to answer a question and if you got it right (with help from everyone around you)... candy!

Ok, so I'm not that creative and it really wasn't Cinco de Mayo-ish at all, but... right before bed, Katy crawled on my lap and said she really had fun at Family Home Evening tonight. She said she liked throwing the pennies into the bowls and eating candy. She even learned something new: you have to be 8 to be baptized. (how did she not know that already?) Anyway, Happy Cinco de Mayo.. may all your tacos be tasty!!

No comments: